Don't you just love that crooked steering wheel?

BOOOOST

Established Member
So what are some of your favorite quirks and pet peeves about your Mules?

My favorite, and has been a favorite since my '94 GT, '96 Cobra, and now my '03 Cobra, is the infamous crooked steering column! You ain't noticed? Sit back and lock both your arms forward against the wheel and notice your left elbow is actually further forward than your right one ;-)

I would have added in no foldaway side mirrors, since my best friend ripped one of his off on a swingset in his '94 GT, but I noticed Ford got nice and gave us some foldaways this year (or was it earlier :??: )

Ever jacked up your car on one side with a door open, or opened a door afterwards, only to find out it scrubs trying to close it back?

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
and the leather-yep good ol ford leather-got with 18k on the ticker the driver seat looked worse than a dogs chewtoy.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by BNASPLT
So what are some of your favorite quirks and pet peeves about your Mules?........
I like the fact that I can mash the go-fast-pedal and then it pins me to my seat as she lets out a howl.:-D :thumbsup:

stangin

Established Member
Embarassing

Im embarasased to make 439 rwhp 469 rwtq with the bone stock exhaust, diablo chip, 2.8 pulley, billetflow idler and UPI CAI which is over 500 flywheel HP and you cant even hear the car idling. Talk about stealth, in fact all you can hear is the supercharger whine before your thrust back into the seat. It probably does not make much noise outside the car either lol. I did all the mods this weekend and have not ordered an exhaust yet.

Any unibody car if you jack it up from the side the doors will scrape when closing, not just the mustang. I suppose a pair of subframe connectors will fix that though.

I have no tick at 5000 miles, yet just the clunk.. If it wernt for the clunk I would be totally satisfied with the car 100%.

Yes, I notice the leather as well. Is there anything we can do to keep it from crumpling up? I knew to expect that from looking at older Cobra's.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
On the leather subject...

There are three different types of leather: full grain, and then the two types made from full grain: top grain and split grain. The full grain is very thick, and is great for high wear items like saddles. Not only is it very thick it's difficult to stitch.

When the leather is pared down to make it easier to work, it is split into two parts: top grain, which is the top part of the full grain piece of leather (the top part is the actual outer hide of the animal, the epidermis) and the split grain, which is the softer, suede like part of the animal which in reality represents the dermis (layer under the actual hide, or skin).

Many leather manufacturers will attempt to stretch their leather yield by taking the full grain, splitting it into top grain and split grain, then processing the split grain until it looks like top grain. This involves coating the top of the split grain with material that looks like top grain for a while, but never wears as well.

Ford uses coated split grain in every leather equipped car I've seen for about 10 years. It's very cheap. They could have done much better than that.

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Interesting. I was able to get my seat leather replaced in my '97 Cobra under warranty. Of course that only covers you until 36K miles or 3 years.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
Check the bottom of the back window seal........mine is not sealed and makes all kinds of noise.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Re: Embarassing

Originally posted by stangin
just the clunk.. If it wernt for the clunk I would be totally satisfied with the car 100%.

Yeah, me too. I'd be 100% satisfied if it weren't for the clunk...

BBriBro

Established Member
Re: Embarassing

Originally posted by stangin
Any unibody car if you jack it up from the side the doors will scrape when closing, not just the mustang.
Nope, I had a '95 Jetta that you could jack up just one rear corner, so only three wheels were on the ground, all 4 doors opened and closed just fine. My firebird on the other hand, if you stop with one wheel in the driveway, and the other 3 in the street, (over the 3" high gutter) you can' t even open the door, I guess it doesn't stand a chance with T-Tops.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Re: Re: Embarassing

Originally posted by BBriBro
My firebird on the other hand, if you stop with one wheel in the driveway, and the other 3 in the street, (over the 3" high gutter) you can' t even open the door, I guess it doesn't stand a chance with T-Tops.

Put a C4 Vette on a lift and you'll crack the lexan top. You have to remove the top to put it on a lift. A buddy found that out the hard way. :lol:

Gumball

Established Member
You know I never really thought about it until you brought it up, but I can't remember the last car I had with a pull knob to turn on my headlights. Oh wait, yes I can, my 1972 Monte Carlo (first car). Kind of funny that that car also ran on Regular gas.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Embarassing

Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Put a C4 Vette on a lift and you'll crack the lexan top. You have to remove the top to put it on a lift. A buddy found that out the hard way. :lol:

A bit of overstatement - I have owned 3 C4's: 1985, 1987, 1992, and none did that.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Embarassing

Originally posted by Cobra'03
A bit of overstatement - I have owned 3 C4's: 1985, 1987, 1992, and none did that.

Owned 1 C4 here (1995), and never had that issue.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
My 97 Cobra with the saddle leather interior looked better after two years of use than when it was new. I treated it regularly with a good conditioner which over time "softened" the finish unitl it felt really smooth and soft. It still wrinkled, but in my opinion it gave the seat some character.

Other than that, I seem to forget all the little noises as they are drowned out by the noise as a blow by the competition.........

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Embarassing

Originally posted by BNASPLT
Owned 1 C4 here (1995), and never had that issue.

Originally posted by Cobra'03

Maybe so, but the manual specifically says to unbolt the top prior to putting it on a lift (found that out after the fact). He's out $700 for replacement. That's just a rebuilt top. A new one is well over a grand. His cracked after being on the lift around 6 times in 4 days. One LOUD pop just as the wheels left the ground. Typical Chevy, more times on a lift than days on the road heheh. It's a 92 that spent over a decade in Florida, so that doesn't help any.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread