(DRAG)Racers (tire) advice needed!

xsboosted

Established Member
I've been doing a lot of research and I'm stumped as to what tire I should run. I am looking to drive to the track and run an 11.70 on the tires I drove in on. I also want to keep it on the stock 17s, what tire will get me to this goal? Mods in sig, is this goal even possible with my setup?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you would like to turn good times without breaking things in the IRS buy some beater wheels and mount up bias ply drag racing slicks.

Drag radials easily and regularly hurt Terminator IRS feelings and components.:nonono:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I used to drive on my MT ET Street bias ply 26x11.5x17s to the track.
It was 35 miles each way .
Just don't get caught in the rain.
These were run on stock wheels.

040107_funday.jpg

Last edited:

lx347cid

Established Member
If you want good ride quality driving to the track get the Nitto NT05R tires.
You can use them on the stock 17" tires. I leave these tires on my car all the time but I dont daily drive my car.

An ever better tire would be the MT ET Streets. But the ride quality will not be as nice. They will be better on your IRS at the track though. Still driveable to the track.

With the mods you have you will easily be able to hit an 11.7 with the NT05R tires in my opinion.

thanks

Last edited:

xsboosted

Established Member
I used to drive on my MT ET Street bias ply 26x11.5x17s to the track.
It was 35 miles each way .
Just don't get caught in the rain.
These were run on stock wheels.

040107_funday.jpg

These are probably what ill go with, what kinda 60' times were you cutting?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I've been doing a lot of research and I'm stumped as to what tire I should run. I am looking to drive to the track and run an 11.70 on the tires I drove in on. I also want to keep it on the stock 17s, what tire will get me to this goal? Mods in sig, is this goal even possible with my setup?

11.70s shouldn't be a problem with any of the sticky tires, Nitto 555r's included, for your setup.

xsboosted

Established Member
Happy to help!
I ran the 17s 5-6 years and 200HP ago. Wow time goes by.

Agreed.
Mid to low 11s and mid to low 120s are definitely possible.

Thanks for the info, I believe I am gonna work on my short track at the local 8th and get that down before I head out 2hrs away, to the 1/4

SVT_Troy

Established Member
So 18's should be a no-no with radials? Ive been thinking about ditching my 18's and buying 2 sets of 17's. One for street/drag and one for autocross.

T800

Established Member
+1 on the ET Street's. If you are looking to DD the tire, I would HIGHLY recommend the Toyo R888. At your power level you should be able to easily hit your goal with these tires.

Agreed on DR vs. IRS...but there's launching and then there's being an idiot. I can break any rearend if I take the Stupid Pill. Just remember you are driving that thing home and let the car gradually get quicker as you find that sweet spot. Good idea on practicing at the 1/8th first.

Be safe!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread