Drag wheels, help me decide

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Going to order next week after 4th of July. Both are a 15x8, 5.5 inch backspace, 5x4.5 bolt pattern, same specs and prices. Let me know what you think. Honestly neither of them will match the 19" Brembo wheels I'm running on the front, but they aren't going to be on to look good. A set of 275/60/15 MT ET street radials will be mounted on them...

Drag-Thrust
Summit Racing SUM-561-5866PS - Summit Racing® Polished Drag-Thrust Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Warrior R/T
Summit Racing SUM-571-5866PS - Summit Racing® Warrior R/T Polished Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

BOD89LX

Established Member
I like the R/T's better, but isnt the 5.5" BS going to push the wheels out a little to much, I think a 6.5 BS will look and fit better. IMHO.

92hatchlx

Established Member
I think I had asked in here before and everyone was telling me to go with a 5.5 inch backspacing on a 15x8 with this body style. If you take a look at the race wheels that american muscle sells, the only 15x8 drag wheel on their website (the prostars), has a 5.3 inch backspace. But that's why I posted this on here is to get everyone's opinions so I do this right and only one time. If I could get some pictures of different backspacing with these or a similar set of wheels mounted on a 2010-2012 that would be great.

Entrenched

Established Member
i run a 15 x 10 with a 7.5 BS.

DSCN5512.jpg

BOD89LX

Established Member
I see why they do that so you dont need the sway bar kit. The 5.5" will look the same as the 10's from the outside and will have plenty of clearance on the inner wheel well. So that should be fine.

92hatchlx

Established Member
Thanks for the picture entrenched! That looks great. I agree on the fitment BOD89LX. Everyone is running that damn 325/50/16! It looks amazing. The 275/60/15 should be enough tire right? 11.5 wide with a 10 inch contact patch IIRC

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Established Member
The fronts won't clear my Brembos. I'm looking just to do the rears for now. I am having a hard time trying to figure out where I'm going to stash these damn things in my barracks as it is.

SicShelby09

Banned
The fronts won't clear my Brembos. I'm looking just to do the rears for now. I am having a hard time trying to figure out where I'm going to stash these damn things in my barracks as it is.

You just need one of those cheap auto zone wheel spacers for that not the big expensive ones the cheap ones for the track only.

davidhuff

Established Member
Check out the Billet Specialties street lite wheels from Jegs.15x10 with 7.50 back space GM F BODY WHEEL with FORD bolt pattern 5X4.5
Price:$244.99 each plus shipping

92hatchlx

Established Member
Check out the Billet Specialties street lite wheels from Jegs.15x10 with 7.50 back space GM F BODY WHEEL with FORD bolt pattern 5X4.5
Price:$244.99 each plus shipping

Those are nice but I am going for cost effective. If it was a wheel that I was going to run 24/7 I would look into something a little nicer but these will go on right before I go to the track and take them off when I get back. I can get two of the drag thrust or the five spokes for less than one of those bad boys.

92hatchlx

Established Member
The summit wheels are not those universal type that need those goofy offset washers which make them a bit more desirable IMO.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I was gung-ho for the prostars until I found these on Summit (Jeg's sells their own version as well).

davidhuff

Established Member
Going to order next week after 4th of July. Both are a 15x8, 5.5 inch backspace, 5x4.5 bolt pattern, same specs and prices. Let me know what you think. Honestly neither of them will match the 19" Brembo wheels I'm running on the front, but they aren't going to be on to look good. A set of 275/60/15 MT ET street radials will be mounted on them...

Drag-Thrust
Summit Racing SUM-561-5866PS - Summit Racing® Polished Drag-Thrust Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Warrior R/T
Summit Racing SUM-571-5866PS - Summit Racing® Warrior R/T Polished Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Are you sure the backspacing will work and will these wheels clear your rear brakes on your new 5.0.

acrbill

Established Member
Are you sure the backspacing will work and will these wheels clear your rear brakes on your new 5.0.

The 15x8 racestar wheels that are very popular have a 5.3" backspacing and those summit wheels have a 5.5" backspacing so if I understand backspacing correctly the wheel will be pushed out .2" further.

One thing to remember when ordering from summit is that they do not mount the tires so be sure to take that extra cost into account when comparing them to other wheels from online retailers that will mount them for free.

I almost forgot to mention Summit wheel are non hub centric so you need to tighten them completely with the tire off the ground.

Last edited:

BOD89LX

Established Member
Nope the 5.5" bs will be pulled in .2" closer to the inner wheel well than a 5.3" bs

The 15x8 racestar wheels that are very popular have a 5.3" backspacing and those summit wheels have a 5.5" backspacing so if I understand backspacing correctly the wheel will be pushed out .2" further.

One thing to remember when ordering from summit is that they do not mount the tires so be sure to take that extra cost into account when comparing them to other wheels from online retailers that will mount them for free.

I almost forgot to mention Summit wheel are non hub centric so you need to tighten them completely with the tire off the ground.

92hatchlx

Established Member

I won't be ordering the tires from Summit, just the wheels. They will come from American Muscle unless someone can make me a better offer! There are literally hundreds of shops around here that will mount and balance for 5-10 per wheel especially with it being off the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread