Driver side head removal

terminator1

Established Member
Is it possible to remove the driver side head with the motor still in the car? I live in an apartment building and don't have the room to pull the motor. Need help!

cj428mach

Established Member
After swapping heads on my car with the motor removed, I could never imagine doing it in the car.

terminator1

Established Member
Trust me I would rather take the motor out but I just don't have the room to do that where I live. I was wondering if the header has to come off first or can it stay on while removing the head. Thanks for all your help!

GodStang

Established Member
I have taken off the valve cover with engine still in car and had to remove the brake booster and it was a pain. Pulling the head will be very very difficult/pain in the ass. IF you have studs it will be impossible. The hard part will be once you put it back on degreeing the cams with the engine still in. Its all been done before but a nightmare and adds extra places for mistakes. I would loose the K member and lift the car up over the engine and remove the head like that if you dont have room to totally pull engine.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yes you can. I've pulled both driver and passenger heads in the car in a driveway with no lift. If you have stock manifolds you can pull the driver's head with the manifold still attached but you have to remove it to install. It's a heavy chunk to pull with the exhaust still on and the cams and everything still in there. Make sure you have a helper. I suggest removing the exhaust manifold for ease before pulling the head. Will also give you less hassles with the dip stick tube.

If you have head studs the driver's side will easily come off. The passenger's side is much tighter. Have to pull the studs out first, there's two that won't come out and you have to loosen the motor mount and jack it up to get the clearance and pull them.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I did just 1 over fender also. .even with long tube header still attached...

you will need to get under car also..remove clutch cable and egr tube..

I removed hydro booster from firewall..

I used a come along to pull head up

Users who are viewing this thread