Driver side oil leak mystery...?

shadowcoupe

Last few months I've had an oil leak from something somewhere on the drivers side of the car. I've ruled out valve cover. It seems to continually leak when the car is off, for weeks with out even running. Not the oil filter either. I even degrease everything clean, nxt day it's wet with oil. I'm pulling my hair out on this. Any help please!! Thx.

KILRSVT

Established Member
make sure your oil filter is tight...if its loose it will leak oil...just a suggestion since its on the driver side.

Make sure the oil filter adapter us tight. The bolts can become loose over time. I'ce had an oil leak from precisely that area.

03killacobra

Banned
The dye kit is your best bet. I had a leak from the drivers side for almost 3 years, started a year after i purchased it new. ended up being the timing cover leaking where the head and block meet. I re-sealed the cover and it's been dry since.

shadowcoupe

It's not the oil filter itself. I think it may be the oil cooler, I've tried tightening the bolts but only can get to 2 of them, 1 of then I can't to,the other I can't even see...

JASPERSVT

BOOST, my anti drug.
Established Member
You can get the kits from any autoparts store. You just put the dye in with the oil, let it run and let it sit for a while. You put your glasses on and use the light it comes with. You can take it from there.

shadowcoupe

Your oil cooler to engine block gasket is leaking!!

That's what I'm thinkng but I can't pin point it. It looks like a bastard to get to 2of them bolts. I may just change it to eliminate a possibility. Any tips to make it easy, or am I gonna have to disassemble most of the car....

Brutal Metal

Established Member
It's actually quite easy I did mine(Cause I reused to stock gasket cause it looks OK when I did the Forged Rebuild, but it leaked). I will say one thing if you get it on a lift above your head it's A LOT easier. You need to remove the whole oil cooler assembly which involves taking off the filter and a coolant hose, some people say it's necessary to drain the coolant, NO just have a big pan to catch the waterfall that's gonna come out of that hose.
You can reach the top oil cooler bolt with a swivel socket and extension, when removed inspect the O-ring inside it and make sure it's not torn and tighten that center rod piece well with an allen wrench! Also make sure both gasket mating surfaces are smooth and clean!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I thought I had a spare in my garage, this is what you want to replace even if yours looks OK...
a12050.jpg

shadowcoupe

It's actually quite easy I did mine(Cause I reused to stock gasket cause it looks OK when I did the Forged Rebuild, but it leaked). I will say one thing if you get it on a lift above your head it's A LOT easier. You need to remove the whole oil cooler assembly which involves taking off the filter and a coolant hose, some people say it's necessary to drain the coolant, NO just have a big pan to catch the waterfall that's gonna come out of that hose.
You can reach the top oil cooler bolt with a swivel socket and extension, when removed inspect the O-ring inside it and make sure it's not torn and tighten that center rod piece well with an allen wrench! Also make sure both gasket mating surfaces are smooth and clean!

So the O-ring is inside the assembly? does that O-ring come with the gasket? or do i have to get it separate?
only reason i ask, is cause my local Advance Auto is showing they have 4 of the gaskets in stock, and i just want to cover my bases, just in case...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
You want a gasket with the dimensions and bolt holes like the one I showed, use it as a reference when your at the parts counter and the O ring inside the assembly is orange and won't be included with the gasket but you don't need to replace that unless you can see a flaw!

Last edited:

shadowcoupe

Ha, I never thought of that. I Found out that the thread part the oil filter screws onto was loose. Seemed to be somewhat leak free so far. Now I have to deal with a jacked up blower that locked up on me yesterday :(

Users who are viewing this thread