Drivers side head ticking (isnt there a Recall?)

Venom85

Established Member
I recently purchased my cobra and the drivers side is ticking my car was built 09/02. Called ford for the recall gave my vin number and theyre claiming theres no recall. How can i get them to cover the replacement

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
was it not ticking BEFORE you bought it? or did it just now start ticking?

either way tho, these guys are right...ford wont be paying to fix your car.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
sounds like a loose or spilt valve seat ? that is what my problem was, i got my old head fixed new seat in head with new valve. but i just went ahead and got the new ford revised heads, doing it your self , will take lots of time. but will save you lots of labor.its 2100 bucks just labor for a cam swap in a book i have ,not incl. pulling the heads .
just to give you an idea on cost both my new heads where 2200 bucks plus bolts and all gaskets..got ins.full coverage? go wreak it . and get the money or fix it have 7g on hand at least. if not doing it yourself add another 4g . not worth it. part it out.

Grimster

Established Member
sounds like a loose or spilt valve seat ? that is what my problem was, i got my old head fixed new seat in head with new valve. but i just went ahead and got the new ford revised heads, doing it your self , will take lots of time. but will save you lots of labor.its 2100 bucks just labor for a cam swap in a book i have ,not incl. pulling the heads .
just to give you an idea on cost both my new heads where 2200 bucks plus bolts and all gaskets..got ins.full coverage? go wreak it . and get the money or fix it have 7g on hand at least. if not doing it yourself add another 4g . not worth it. part it out.

Wow. Do not listen to this guy.

Blueline

Established Member

WTF??

OP, post up a vid of the "ticking" your hearing. There are alot of other things that go "tick"

cobra=trouble

Established Member
quote=Grimster;10843088]Wow. Do not listen to this guy.[/quote]Okay ROOKIE seems you know alot. if he's got the tick , ford is not going to cover it , and if you just got it i hope you didn't pay much for it , you been screwed big time . HE WILL FIND DAMAGE.>pistons/rings$ heads problems,we all know that. like my motor. good luck and good day i got over 7grand in my head tick problem>and I still need few more parts,and i'am a car line tech going on 28 yrs. now. not incl. labor. these car suck you dry !

edit: lol... have you even compression checked it yet?

Last edited:

Venom85

Established Member
was it not ticking BEFORE you bought it? or did it just now start ticking?

either way tho, these guys are right...ford wont be paying to fix your car.

Changed the oil and the tick started after that. Put a Wix oil filter and 5w-20, just uploaded the vid [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBETLnYzAOI&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - ‪Head ticking‬‏[/nomedia]

Venom85

Established Member
quote=Grimster;10843088]Wow. Do not listen to this guy.
Okay ROOKIE seems you know alot. if he's got the tick , ford is not going to cover it , and if you just got it i hope you didn't pay much for it , you been screwed big time . HE WILL FIND DAMAGE.>pistons/rings$ heads problems,we all know that. like my motor. good luck and good day i got over 7grand in my head tick problem>and I still need few more parts,and i'am a car line tech going on 28 yrs. now.BWDIK? that not incl. labor. these car suck you dry ! :lol:

edit: lol... have you even compression checked it yet > or do you know what that is? :pop:[/QUOTE]

I havent said shit to you so I dont know what your deal is Im not an idoit yeah I know it might be in the shortblock but its a common problem that I hear is the drivers side has a vavle seat problem

Blueline

Established Member
I think youtube is down right now so I cant watch the video. You may not have the head tick, you may have a valve lash adjuster that may not be priming. Does it tick as soon as it starts, only when cold, only when hot? Im curious if you switch to a royal purple 5w30 if it would go away. If it started right after your oil change I dont believe its the "Tick." Ill wait to watch the video though..

testorossa1989

Established Member
your not going to see a dime from ford or a recall. Stop driving it before you cause more costly problems than you already have

testorossa1989

Established Member
Ive had this in my GT, Im not sure if its a related problem or just a same sounding issue. But it taps 7,8th and my car started at 75k and its at 145k now

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
If it just started after your oil change, swap the filter back to an OEM Motorcraft. A few Cobra's have had a fake tick coming from the oil filter, it's worth the shot only $6.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Okay ROOKIE seems you know alot. if he's got the tick , ford is not going to cover it , and if you just got it i hope you didn't pay much for it , you been screwed big time . HE WILL FIND DAMAGE.>pistons/rings$ heads problems,we all know that. like my motor. good luck and good day i got over 7grand in my head tick problem>and I still need few more parts,and i'am a car line tech going on 28 yrs. now.BWDIK? that not incl. labor. these car suck you dry ! :lol:

edit: lol... have you even compression checked it yet > or do you know what that is? :pop:

I havent said shit to you so I dont know what your deal is Im not an idoit yeah I know it might be in the shortblock but its a common problem that I hear is the drivers side has a vavle seat problem[/QUOTE]

that was not directed at you rookie , this one>
Grimster
Rookie SVT Poster

0.25 per day

i hope all works out well, i just know how costly this repair is. sorry for your loss.no pun intented .

Users who are viewing this thread