drivetrain "slack" ?

87FOXGT

Established Member
hey guys. just had a question on what may be actin up on my vert.

i have 3400 miles on the clock with all the mods listed below. ive been to the track and launched hardthere, and i play on the street quite a bit. recently i was home for my 2 week break from iraq, and i got a chance to bring the car out for a few days. i noticed that sometimes i have a hard time getting it into 2nd especially if im speed shifting, and also, say for example i am in 4th gear at about 2000 rpm, and i let off the gas and then step into it a bit, i can hear a thunk in the driveline. I am wondering if just my cluitch is crapping out on me, maybe the input shaft is toast? Im hoping its not the tranny but if it is then i guess that can get the gforce upgrade. Also my TOB was starting to squeel too i am wondering if that may have something to do with it. Anyone that can throw any ideas out there for me i would appreciate it. Thanks guys.

87FOXGT

Established Member
badboy said:
That's just the "klunk". I think almost everyone has it.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the "klunk"? What causes it? Whats the fix? Sorry i know its probably on the forum somewhere but i dont have much time online to look and internet here in iraq is super slow.

If someone could provide some info on this i would appreciate it. Thanks.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
It could be some play in the rearend from all the abuse.

About the shifting. Either you clutch is going bad or is out of adjustment. Or you 2nd gear synco isnt fairing to well.

TOB- As long as its not a constant squeel you should be ok. Remember these thing are always pushing against the pressure plate so they go through a lot.

BLWN46

Established Member
Definitely NOT the rearend, i thought that too, and tightened up the rear backlash on my replacement diff, to no improvement. It is the transmission, and it is normal, we all have it. Be happy you have a stong 6 speed trans.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The clunk is excess play in the drivetrain. It's a known issue of course. Someone here recently switched to a carbon fiber driveshaft and the clunk disappeared. Others have upgraded drivetrain components with good results.

Big_Torch

Banned
97Stangv6 said:
It could be some play in the rearend from all the abuse.

About the shifting. Either you clutch is going bad or is out of adjustment. Or you 2nd gear synco isnt fairing to well.

TOB- As long as its not a constant squeel you should be ok. Remember these thing are always pushing against the pressure plate so they go through a lot.

Ive noticed my car squeeling a lot, but it only does it in 5th gear, and a little in 6th, I wont drive in 5th now its annoying as hell. Does this mean my TOB is bad?

mcflysvt04

Established Member
Hey 87foxgt I have the same problem but mine has locked up a few times. Had to have it flatbeded to the dealer last week. They are pulling the tranny today. They think one of the forks may be a little out of line or bent. IT IS NOT NORMAL. something is wrong. My car locked up and I couldnt get it to move. I played with it and finaly got it uncaught twenty miles later when I went to back up into my garage it happen agian so I called roadside and they flatbedded it My car is an 04 but its got over 20k on it. I drive it hard but I dont beat it. Its not the clutch but Ford wont warranty it until they know what it is. I will let you know what it was ASAP

Last edited:

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Big_Torch said:
Ive noticed my car squeeling a lot, but it only does it in 5th gear, and a little in 6th, I wont drive in 5th now its annoying as hell. Does this mean my TOB is bad?

Thats weird only in 5/6th. If it was the TOB it should do it regardless of what gear you are in but more to how much pressure is being applied to the clucth pedal.

I honestly have no idea what that would be. Totaly clueless.

87FOXGT

Established Member
mcflysvt04 said:
Hey 87foxgt I have the same problem but mine has locked up a few times. Had to have it flatbeded to the dealer last week. They are pulling the tranny today. They think one of the forks may be a little out of line or bent. IT IS NOT NORMAL. something is wrong. My car locked up and I couldnt get it to move. I played with it and finaly got it uncaught twenty miles later when I went to back up into my garage it happen agian so I called roadside and they flatbedded it My car is an 04 but its got over 20k on it. I drive it hard but I dont beat it. Its not the clutch but Ford wont warranty it until they know what it is. I will let you know what it was ASAP

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I guess i am not too worried, when i get home from iraq thecar is gonna get a nice set of drivetrain upgrades from the clutch back to the halfshafts. But i am just hoping my tranny is ok, but if thats bad then i guess that can get the g-force upgrade. I guess i just was wondering if anyone could list off anything real specific as to what it may be, but i am sure there could be several possible causes.

Thanks for all your replies guys, i guess i will just find out whats wrong when i get a new clutch/input shaft/TOB assembly put in along with everything else. I need to make sure the car is solid and ready for a Whipple come next spring :D

Thanks again everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread