Drivewise braking stats a crock?

YELOSNK

Established Member
About two weeks ago I installed Allstate's Drivewise device. I figured, hey, I'm a good driver, my previous job of 7 years involved driving around patients with brain injuries from auto accidents, who you can imagine were quite sensitive to poor driving, and they never had anything but good things to say.

Yet in less than two weeks of this thing I have 4 "hard braking" and 2 "extreme braking" events. I can't recall a single damn one of 'em and all I've done in the car is drive to work and back. In hindsight I'm guessing this is because my commute to/from work primarily involves 55mph roads with numerous stoplights.

Anyone else have/used Drivewise and had frustrations with the braking?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't have any experience, but I wouldn't put it past any of the companies to calibrate the devices to be overly sensitive so as to make it easier to jack up your rates.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
my question is how does it know you didnt do any extreme breaking to avoid an accident?

it cant....

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Weird, the progressive snapshot one beeps at you based on how hard you break. My wife tried it, it didn't take a lot to get he first warning beep

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I had one through Safeco a few years back for about 6 months, it was pretty dead on. I knew when I was getting dinged with a violation because I knew that I hit brakes hard.

One thing I didn't like was that I was getting dinged for "late night driving" and I was coming home after midnight from work...it assumed I was out partying I guess?

My favorite was when I got my ranger stuck in the snow and I had about 100 "fast accelerations" which sent my record of events into fail mode lol.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
...my previous job of 7 years involved driving around patients with brain injuries from auto accidents, who you can imagine were quite sensitive to poor driving, and they never had anything but good things to say.

Maybe they had memory gaps from the brain injuries and the additional scrambling from the hard braking. :poke:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I had one through Safeco a few years back for about 6 months, it was pretty dead on. I knew when I was getting dinged with a violation because I knew that I hit brakes hard.

One thing I didn't like was that I was getting dinged for "late night driving" and I was coming home after midnight from work...it assumed I was out partying I guess?

My favorite was when I got my ranger stuck in the snow and I had about 100 "fast accelerations" which sent my record of events into fail mode lol.

lol.

my wife got a decent discount from using it but she got dinged for her super early am commute.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
Nothing you do with Drivewise will jack up your rates, you simply lose a certain discount % that you wouldn't otherwise get without drivewise. Here you go.

Discount

Get 3 percent* of your auto insurance premium just for participating

Cash Rewards
•Earn up to 15 percent** of your premium after just 50 trips and every six months thereafter, based on safe driving
•Redeem cash rewards: 1.Get a check
2.Apply a policy credit, or
3.Shop at Allstate Rewards***

Allstate Rewards points
•Get 10,000 points just for getting started
•Continually earn hundreds of points for driving safely
•Redeem points for savings on brand-name merchandise, gift cards and local offers

*Exception NJ: 5% Drivewise discount immediately applied, with 3% Drivewise discount applied at renewal
** Exception WA: Up to 19% performance cash rewards
*** Exception WA: Performance cash rewards default to issuance of a check; customer can also choose to apply as policy credit

this is all new as of a few weeks ago. Minimum of 3%, maximum of 15%.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I would never put one of these things in any car I owned. Your data is worth significantly more than the discount you could receive.

Riptide

Established Member
I run the app.

I have the same bitches the op does. It is too sensitive on braking events. My experience is if you are running 5mph over the limit (like practically everybody else does) and you get caught by a yellow the fact you were going just a little faster than expected combined with that little bit of extra braking effort associated with stopping for the red, causes it to ding you for hard braking. It's dumb.

Spudz

Established Member
I asked if I could just put the application on only my daily driver (Van), and the reply was no, all your vehicles. So that killed the idea for me. No way something like this would touch the GT500.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I would never put one of these things in any car I owned. Your data is worth significantly more than the discount you could receive.

1294.gif

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member
Not sure why anyone in their right mind, would put this kind of device on their car to be monitored for the stipend of savings offered by these douches.

Just another coerced erosion of privacy, by one of the most unsavory sectors there is, the Insurance Sector.
One thing you can be sure of, is the Insurance Sector is lobbying GOV hard to make sure these Soviet style monitoring devices are made mandatory.

The whole concept of being monitored by your INS. Co, in real time, is absurd.

Last edited:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member

Not sure why anyone in their right mind, would put this kind of device on their car to be monitored for the stipend of savings offered by these douches.

Just another coerced erosion of privacy, by one of the most unsavory sectors there is, the Insurance Sector.
One thing you can be sure of, is the Insurance Sector is lobbying GOV hard to make sure these Soviet style monitoring devices are made mandatory.

The whole concept of being monitored by your INS. Co, in real time, is absurd.

You guys have matching tin foil hats...

Users who are viewing this thread