Driving Hard

ralliart16

Established Member
so my friend is being a little biatch about his 98 cobra. He is "afraid" to take it up to redline. Correct me if i'm wrong, but Ford engineers would not have chosen to allow the engine to rev to any RPM which is unsafe for the engine. Hence, redline is in no way 'damaging' the engine. After all, the cobra is supposed to be a 'high performance' machine and see high rpms frequently.

And on another note, he seems to think that holding the brakes while holding the gas (standstill burnout) "****s up" the brakes and other things. All it does is wear the rear brakes a little (and of course the tires).

He frequents this forum, so many if you guys give some input he will listen...

jzepp

Established Member
U gotta take it to redline..........its no fun when you dont. Seriously though for a stock cobra with the stock gears these cars feel like they have no power under 3000RPM's or so......once you go over 3000 - 7000RPM's these cars take off.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
make sure the car is warm and the oil is full, and then you can rev it to redline within reason. If he wants the motor to last a long time, banging it off the rev limiter every two minutes is not the way to go.

as for the burnout, its a freaking terrible idea, and will wear the diff, the brakes, the tires, etc. Unless you are at the track, there is absolutely no reason to do a burnout, and no its not fun or entertaining.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
quadcammer said:
as for the burnout, its a freaking terrible idea, and will wear the diff, the brakes, the tires, etc. Unless you are at the track, there is absolutely no reason to do a burnout, and no its not fun or entertaining.

Tell your buddy to go and get some kahunas somewhere! Then tell him to get at least 4.10's and take it to 6500 - 6800 rpm's and then he'll see the beast he has! Those motors absolutely love to rev!!:-D

And as far as quadcammer's comments go. He's correct, it is hard on the car to do a burnout. Although he's not correct on saying it's not fun or entertaining.
Because I say it's a freakin BLAST!!:thumbsup:

Quadcammer

Established Member
never understood that.

whooooooo!!!!! smoke and noise. If thats all you want, why not record your cobra revving to redline, burn it to a cd, and buy a tire from a junkyard. insert tire into fireplace, light it, and put cd in stereo. It'll be much cheaper.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
quadcammer said:
never understood that.

whooooooo!!!!! smoke and noise. If thats all you want, why not record your cobra revving to redline, burn it to a cd, and buy a tire from a junkyard. insert tire into fireplace, light it, and put cd in stereo. It'll be much cheaper.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

We must be getting older man.

Quadcammer

Established Member
maybe so, but im pretty young.

I never understood the appeal of a stationary burnout.

I think its fun to occasionally dump the clutch from a light and put down rubber through a few gears, but to just sit there in a cloud of expensive tire smoke is just dumb to me.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I don't have a 4.6, but I have 102k miles on my car and I still run it to redline at least 5 times a week. ATLEAST.

Users who are viewing this thread