Driving to Houston with Apten/pulley and NO tune?

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
Okay, here's the deal. I'm installing a ported Eaton and a 2.80 in a few days. I have an appointment with Houston Performance on Thursday to tune it. Sounds great, right? Only one problem: I'm in Austin!

So, would it be safe to drive it three hours to Houston on a stock tune if I kept out of boost the whole way? (Talk about restraint!) What you guys thinky? :shrug:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
wow, it can be done but it is going to be very difficult.

btw: you picked an excellent shop to get your tune done. steve is a great guy to work with and chris and the hispanic guy in the shop really know thier stuff. are you getting a diablo chip tuned by them?

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
LTHL, I honestly don't know which tuning software they use, but I have heard great things about them.

So if I drive like a total grampa, it can be done SAFELY? Or should I just trailer it up there? Hmm, the more I think about it, the better that sounds...

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
If you have access to a trailer, I would do that. You COULD do it, but that means no like accelleration at all..

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
well hell, if a trailer is an option i don't know why you'd consider driving it with that risk all the way from austin to houston. Trailer it! they will probably give you a Diablo Revolution

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Will they send you a temporary tune to drive it there safely? It would really suck to have the car running great and have to trailer it back on those wide open stretches between Houston and Austin. ;-)

Last edited:

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Will they send you a temporary tune to drive it there safely? It would really suck to have the car running great and have to trailer it back on those wide open stretches between Houston and Austin. ;-)

No temporary tune. My father has a new Chevy 3/4 ton truck, and I could rent a trailer, but it would be kind of a hassle. But better than grenading my engine!

I was just wondering if it was safe/possible. And yes, racerat, I really wanted to open her up on the way back!:cryying:

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Then just be real careful not to get into boost. You're talking about potentially going WAY lean, like off the chart lean. Why don't you just bring the pieces with you, not installed, and do it there.. It only takes about an hour or so to put it all on. Unless ofcourse the eaton is your stocker and you don't have access to a seperate core..

EatonMe

Just wait to install the pulley when you get to the shop. There's no way in hell I'd drive 3 hours on a apten/pulley car with no tune.

SNKBITE

Established Member
If you show restraint and stay out of the boost you will be fine.
I drove from Ohio to Virginia (375 miles) for 6 1/2 hours straight with the 4# lower, and 2.93 upper on the stock tune.
Ironincally on the way down I averaged 18mpg, but after we did all the data-logging and set up the tuner, I installed the 94 octane street tune and averaged 22.5 mpg on the way home.
Just be conservative. If you had an aftermarket vacum/boost gauge you could monitor yourself a little better.

Last edited:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by Joshua
Just wait to install the pulley when you get to the shop. There's no way in hell I'd drive 3 hours on a apten/pulley car with no tune.

I agree. Just put the stock pulley on the ported Apten, then you have very little to worry about.

Swap pulleys when you get to the shop. Takes 10 minutes anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread