Driving without Mid pipe and catback?

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
My midpipe and catback is currently off, would it be bad to drive the car to the shop to have them put on?

The car has a tune in it and there are three sensors in the exhaust. One on the passengers side long tube header right before the mid pipe and one in each mid pipe after the cat.

Thanks you

Last edited:

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
I can't imagine you would make it far with out being pulled over. Even taking it easy it will be way too loud. As far as problems caused by this; there should be be a CEL b/c you won't have your rear 02 in. You will definetly run rich, not lean. Other than those things you will be fine.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Ok, so i'll be fine? I have a wideband so I can keep track of everything as far as afr. I'll probably just leave the catback off and bolt on the mid pipe

But just open headers is fine as long as the front o2 is in place? The other two rear o2s arent as important? What's their purpose?

Thanks

MVD

Established Member
It is going to be rediculously loud (and very poor sounding). I fired my car up with just LT's on to check for leaks before I put the rest of the exhaust on.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Ok good to hear. I'll probably leave the mid pipe on along with the cats and have it adjusted once I get to the exhaust shop to have my Stingers put on

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
not good at all! with long tubes your alright, but with shorty headers or stock manifolds you run a very high risk of burning exhaust valves

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Ok, so i'll be fine? I have a wideband so I can keep track of everything as far as afr. I'll probably just leave the catback off and bolt on the mid pipe

But just open headers is fine as long as the front o2 is in place? The other two rear o2s arent as important? What's their purpose?

Thanks

Rear 02s are to make sure the cats are working. The front ones are the ones you need. +1 on vids.

yellowgt02

Established Member
I drove to exhaust shop a little over a month ago with open headers. While installing my X pipe, the studs manage to strip and not come out of the stock H....

It was ridiculously loud, nothing I ever want to hear again. I just idled the few blocks to the shop, stayed out of boost, stayed below 2k rpm.

-Jason

12secgt

Established Member
Not as much burn but warp from the high temparature of the valve and the cool air drawn back into the cylinder on the overlap of the cams. Hot and cold metal does not stay straight.

HighPSI

Established Member
Not as much burn but warp from the high temparature of the valve and the cool air drawn back into the cylinder on the overlap of the cams. Hot and cold metal does not stay straight.

I see. Thanks for the explanation :thumbsup:

04torchred

Established Member
I tuned my car right off the 3" midpipe I have. Its loud, but nothing will be hurt. Won't run any richer or leaner then it would with exhaust hooked up. Front 02 sensor control your A/F at idle and part throttle.

Users who are viewing this thread