Drop motor mounts to run the BOSS or Cobra Jet intake?

RSKtakR

Established Member
Anyone done this or making these and selling them yet? I found some Steeda ones but I don't know how much the motor needs to drop in order for the Boss intake to clear the stock hood. ?

Last edited:

RSKtakR

Established Member
I looked into that, but cowl hoods are over $1k before paint.. American Muscle and Bama said it was 1"-1-1/4" and the Steeda motor mounts only drop the motor a MAX of 3/4", and shaving the ribs off the top of the Boss intake will only gain another 1/4" or so. I want to get rid of the factory motor mounts anyways, but I want to keep the stock hood. Decisions decisions lol

STL5OHSLOW

Established Member
best bet is to wait for the gt350 intake to be released. Looks like it will fit right onto the 5.0 and is supporting a 8100 factory redline should be a goo dupgrade for our cars!

RSKtakR

Established Member
best bet is to wait for the gt350 intake to be released. Looks like it will fit right onto the 5.0 and is supporting a 8100 factory redline should be a goo dupgrade for our cars!

aaahhhhhhhh GOOD POINT!! I didn't even think about that!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
+1 on waiting for the GT350.

Not to mention AM put a boss 302 intake on their car and I'm pretty sure they lost mph and ET. They went back to the stock one.

RSKtakR

Established Member

Not to mention AM put a boss 302 intake on their car and I'm pretty sure they lost mph and ET. They went back to the stock one.

ya they did, but I had the Boss intake on my 2011 and know about the slight torque loss, but the gains up top were good.. however that was a 3.31 geared car on E85 with the manual trans and a 26" tall tire. .That car LOVED highway runs. The new car has the 3.73's so I'm not sure how it will react w/ the same combo. I think I remember reading back in 2011 that the ample gear to run with Boss intake was a 3.90 but I'm not sure. But I think I will hold out for the Gt350 intake as well now.

RSKtakR

Established Member
That's IF it will work on the 5.0 since that motor is the 5.2L. I'm not sure if the heads, deck height/width, and if the manifold sits on a flush surface on that 5.2L like our 5.0 does.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think the deck height is the same. I thought it was a coyote block with spray in liners. That's where they picked up the extra displacement.

No idea on the heads though.

KonaFifty

Established Member

they went back to the stock manifold because they had issues with spray with the boss manifold, once they found out those issues and fixed them they actually went back to the boss manifold...

phils04gt

Established Member
Does anyone know for a fact how much you need to lower the motor to get boss intake on the 2015? I just purchased the UPR mounts and the salesman told me he believes it needs to be dropped a 1/2" to clear the hood. He didn't sound so confident in his answer, said it has been around 9 months since installing them so he wasn't 100% sure. It says in the item description that these mounts are a must to clear the hood when utilizing a Boss intake. Sure would suck to put the mounts in just to have the hood still not fit.

I already tossed the boss intake on the car but it's kind of hard to tell how much more it will need to clear the hood. I can currently push the hood down and get it to latch (real snug) but it obviously will not close all the way.

RSKtakR

Established Member
I have been talking to a guy that was putting the cobra jet intake on his s550, and he used the dropped mounts with a 3/4 drop.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, the CJ requires both the mounts and larger cowl hood. The CJ is an inch longer than Boss. Some dude Tony (thread already started) was going to make it work and decided the typical "go another route". Rumor is the Boss will fit under stock hood with super low mounts. Have yet to see actual pictures with either setup.

Last edited:

RSKtakR

Established Member
I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, the CJ requires both the mounts and larger cowl hood. The CJ is an inch longer than Boss. Some dude Tony (thread already started) was going to make it work and decided the typical "go another route". Rumor is the Boss will fit under stock hood with super low mounts. Have yet to see actual pictures with either setup.

Same guy I am talking about...He said he didn't have any problems closing the hood with the 3/4" drop mounts, but I cant remember if that for the CJ or Boss intake for sure? I think it was for the CJ intake.

phils04gt

Established Member
UPR says 1/2" but as I said, he didn't seem so sure. I was excited to hear that but now I am running into the issue of lowering the engine 1/2" - 3/4" and messing up alignment of procharger kit. There isn't much room in there.

Options: buy painted roush scoop and cut hood. Roush said that the scoop is about 2". That should be plenty of room.

Option 2: buy cowl hood for 1500 and have painted.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Bottom line, it's not a bolt on and go like the 11-14's. Looks like adding mounts/labor and new hood will make Boss and CJ intakes a thing of the past for S550 owners. Not a great value proposition with possible hood replacement IMO. Be patient, (right lol) and the GT350 intake should work.

Last edited:

phils04gt

Established Member
I ordered a painted Roush hood scoop. Going to put that on there and cut the stock hood where the Boss intake hits. Shouldn't have to cut too much on the stock hood. Roush said that will allow for another 2" or so. That should be plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread