Dropped my 12 with 8k miles off for shift grind

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Picked the car up today, holy SH!T does it feel so much better. No more popping out of 2nd, solid/quiet shift into 2nd and NO more noise in 4th. Now that I know the Trans is solid internally I will not beat on it, I will install the MGW2 to prevent the same thing happening again. Cannot believe people would suggest throwing a shifter at a Trans with bad parts internally, especially when fixed for free!

I'm amazed at the difference and after watching the MGW2 10 minute video showing shifter differences/improvements I feel very solid the actual fix for these things is having a solid Trans internally, then installing the MGW2 shifter.

Hope more can go this route and enjoy their cars!

Glad to hear. But beating on the trans after break in should not break it. Unless grinding gears.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I got the call from my dealer today, Ford cost cap analysis determined that *shock* its cheaper to rebuild than replace. 20 year experienced trans tech handling the job. As a 10 year ASE Master tech, that puts me at ease. Apparently 2k in parts to rebuild transmission. Im sure Ill find out the whole detail when i read the tech notes on the R.O.

Cant wait to get her back, miss driving her already haha. Soon as shes back to me that MGW2 is immediately going in!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I got the call from my dealer today, Ford cost cap analysis determined that *shock* its cheaper to rebuild than replace. 20 year experienced trans tech handling the job. As a 10 year ASE Master tech, that puts me at ease. Apparently 2k in parts to rebuild transmission. Im sure Ill find out the whole detail when i read the tech notes on the R.O.

Cant wait to get her back, miss driving her already haha. Soon as shes back to me that MGW2 is immediately going in!

Good luck

Larsonator

Established Member
I'm pretty sure they were 3-4k deep in parts once the dealer opened mine up last fall. They thought they were just replacing 2nd gear and syncros...

Last edited:

rikb53

Established Member
i dropped my 12 off at planet ford almost a month ago. took 18 days to get parts in they said, then another week to look at it and then call me and tell me that they had to order more parts. specifically the syncro block ring. you know - the little Brass Ring in there. they said it was "burred". i'm thinking brass is kinda soft. so in a rebuilt why wouldn't you order that. they told me that they didn't realize it until they actually pulled the whole assembly which leads me know to wonder, why would you order parts based on never seeing what's inside of the tranny casing? i'm a computer programmer so my logic circuits just shorted out on that one. but, i guess the "Transmission Whisperer" at planet ford knows way more that me. but, "visual inspection" - "old school" should maybe be a consideration. anyhoo - i month and again waiting on parts. so.................MGW maybe?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Mine was three weeks. Ordered parts after teardown inspection. 2nd gear, 1-2 synchro, mainshaft, countershaft, all bearings and races and a bunch of little parts. Essentially a complete overhaul.

Best your ass the mgw promtly went in ASAP.

antuan martin

Established Member
the only thing that will "fix" the car will be to replace the shifter with an mgw2 and amsoil fluid. The shifter will correct the issue, the fluid makes a little bit smoother. Bottom line is the factory shifter is the culprit. Ford has no intentions on making a better or replacement shifter for these vehicles.

x2

HidnNOS

Established Member
Learn to drive it is just plain moronic.... they had my car a total of 10 days, even with having to order a part they originally didn't find, however once I picked it up I made 1 high 1-2 shift/slam and it was perfect. That being said I never shifter like that again with the stock shifter, I ordered the MGW 2. Installed it and am happy!
So, if it's grinding there IS an internal issue. Get that issue fixed, THEN install the MGW 2 to prevent the same internal Trans issue from returning.

MattR

Established Member
My dealer ordered every part that had to do with first and second gear before I dropped it off. Had the car 3 days, shifts great now. Found an issue with the blocker rings as well.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
Learn to drive it is just plain moronic.... they had my car a total of 10 days, even with having to order a part they originally didn't find, however once I picked it up I made 1 high 1-2 shift/slam and it was perfect. That being said I never shifter like that again with the stock shifter, I ordered the MGW 2. Installed it and am happy!
So, if it's grinding there IS an internal issue. Get that issue fixed, THEN install the MGW 2 to prevent the same internal Trans issue from returning.

you made one good shift.:beer:.

HidnNOS

Established Member
you made one good shift.:beer:.

Your funny, in a not funny way.... Learn to drive the trans is moronic, plain and simple. I had the trans "fixed" because it was grinding. I verified it was fixed. I then installed the MGW2 and last night at the track power shifted every gear at redline and it was smooth as butter EVERY time. That is a problem solved/REPAIRED...... No learning to drive it at all, the problem is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread