Dropped My A/C Vent Temps to 34.5 Degrees!

Ryushin

Established Member
I use Duracool for my SVX. I can regularly get it down to 28 degrees while driving and the coldest I've ever seen it get to is 25 degrees. I've been meaning to change out the refrigerant on the Cobra but I haven't done it yet. Good to know about the orifice tube. I'm going to pick that up and plane on doing my A/C in a week or so. Though I tested mine when I first got the cobra and it went down to 31 degrees and then cycled back up to 38. It seem that the compressor was turning off when it hit 31 degrees.

Duracool is most likely the same type of thing as the Enviro Safe R12a.

Also, don't kid yourself that R134a needs to be extracted and stored like they say. Can's of compressed air to blow out debris from computers and such are R134a and they spray right into the environment.

It's also strange to note, that Dupont who had the patent on R12, suddenly found out that it was bad for the environment two years before their patent was set to expire and said no problem, we've made this new compound called R134a that is "safe for the environment" (but it does cause testicular cancer) , and they railroaded it through the patent office and EPA to make it the official new refrigerant for cars Even though, safe alternatives existed already before and are officially endorsed in other countries. Hmmm.... No corporate influence in that decision.

metaman

Established Member
so what type of oil does it require:shrug: also what is needed to do the swap? just evacuate the system and put the new stuff in:shrug:

They say it is compatible with not only the oils used in both r134 systems, but also the mineral oil used in the old r12 freon systems. So it is as simple as a quick evac and charge and then done. They do caution that you should only pull about 10hg vacuum with this stuff before charging or else you could over charge the system. This is apposed to the recommended 26hg vacuum for charging r134. They also state that it is compatible to be mixed with r134 and also r12 freon, but they have a disclaimer that says that this is not legal in some states. Not because it is harmful, but because the laws where written to deal with freon / 134 mixtures. So I just put my cheap ass venturi vacuum pump on the system for about 10 min, then I charged it with a couple of cans of the Enviro Save 12a industrial. Very simple stuff.

It is cold enough for me now here, but I am going to do the higher flow orifice tube just for shits and giggles to see how cold it gets. Also for preventative maintenance.

metaman

Established Member
I use Duracool for my SVX. I can regularly get it down to 28 degrees while driving and the coldest I've ever seen it get to is 25 degrees. I've been meaning to change out the refrigerant on the Cobra but I haven't done it yet. Good to know about the orifice tube. I'm going to pick that up and plane on doing my A/C in a week or so. Though I tested mine when I first got the cobra and it went down to 31 degrees and then cycled back up to 38. It seem that the compressor was turning off when it hit 31 degrees.

Duracool is most likely the same type of thing as the Enviro Safe R12a.

Must not have been very hot outside because the Ford A/C is not that efficient with the 134 in there.

Also, don't kid yourself that R134a needs to be extracted and stored like they say. Can's of compressed air to blow out debris from computers and such are R134a and they spray right into the environment.

I was not worried about it, I just hooked up the manifold gauges and cracked both valves until I stopped hearing the hissing out the end of the yellow hose and then I vacuum pumped the system.

It's also strange to note, that Dupont who had the patent on R12, suddenly found out that it was bad for the environment two years before their patent was set to expire and said no problem, we've made this new compound called R134a that is "safe for the environment" (but it does cause testicular cancer) , and they railroaded it through the patent office and EPA to make it the official new refrigerant for cars Even though, safe alternatives existed already before and are officially endorsed in other countries. Hmmm.... No corporate influence in that decision.

Yeah, Dupont has been pounding us all balls deep for a long time. The best was back right after they invented Nitro Glycerin and shipped it all over the place on trains. Lots of trains and transport trucks went Kaboom, but hey why not we are making money?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread