Dropping center section w/ irs dif brace

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Need to reseal or switch out the brace for a Ford Racing cover, (possible issue bc it's not milled) but I must be doing something wrong. Can't remove the rear mount (bolt out) bc it's hitting the cover. I've tried pushing the center section every which way but still no go. What am I doing wrong here?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is that the bolt that holds the mount to the cradle or the two bolts that hold the mount to the center section?

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Removed all 3 also had to remove MM toe rod bolt in order to get to rear mount bolt. I'm baffled, anyone know how this is done?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I vaguely remember leaving one bolt in when dropping the center section. It's been a long time though. Did you remove the pinion support brace?

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
I did not, but that was the issue. I thought the rear mount came out (doesn't need to)

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah. The brace has to come out in order to get the center section out. I used a breaker bar with a short socket. The torque is something like 184ft-lbs on the control arm bolts.

When I said I left a bolt in I meant that I left in it the hole when I pulled the center section because there wasn't enough room to slide it all the way out.

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Yup lol. I'm currently waiting on Ford RTV to show up, then install FRPP cover and slap her back together

hotcobra03

Established Member
Best way I've found to keep a long seal..

Let it set for at least 24hr and cure..

I also fill before I install..

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW, I've used the Ultra Grey RTV with success. Yes, filling on the bench is just easier. If you keep it level the oil won't leak out of the holes for the half shafts. Just make sure you put the correct amount in. If you over fill it makes a helluva mess all over the IRS. Or so I've been told......

jblood37

Established Member
FWIW, I've used the Ultra Grey RTV with success. Yes, filling on the bench is just easier. If you keep it level the oil won't leak out of the holes for the half shafts. Just make sure you put the correct amount in. If you over fill it makes a helluva mess all over the IRS. Or so I've been told......
Agreed! And yes if you overfill you'll find out the first time you get on it. Gear oil everywhere under the car and on the rear bumper. "Or so I've been told" lmao

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Ended up ordering the Ford gray RTV and using it, but I did have the Ultra gray in my tool box. Oh well, no leaks. Filled 1.5 qts RP 75w-140 on bench. Had to grind a bit on the FRPP cover to get pinion bracket bolts aligned & fit the MM rear mount. Also, had a bad wheel bearing. Feels great to get that all knocked out. Thanks guys, and great tip on filling!

Shamwoww88

Established Member
Hey sorry to thread jack but couldn't really be sure in the posts. Can you remove/reinstall the rear diff mount/mount insulator without dropping the diff back out. I have mine out right now, but the rear mount itself is broken so I'm having it repaired. Just wondering if I should throw everything else back together and still get it back in or not.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Hey sorry to thread jack but couldn't really be sure in the posts. Can you remove/reinstall the rear diff mount/mount insulator without dropping the diff back out. I have mine out right now, but the rear mount itself is broken so I'm having it repaired. Just wondering if I should throw everything else back together and still get it back in or not.
You can put it up but not front bracket..

When in car bracket has to be removed to move rear forward..

So guess you can get most of it done..axles and wheels..

Depending how much you have apart

Shamwoww88

Established Member
Yea I was going to leave it loose for the most part so I have the room to finesse it in there if need be. Just wanted to make sure before I find out it wasn't possible. Oh just a heads up anyone else reading this. Mine has the rear diff cover brace, so I guess that helped since the rear mount "insulator" snapped and not the cover. But if that brakes NO ONE I have found sells it. Not Ford, not NAPA, Autozone, Advance, Not Maximum Msports etc. So your probably going to hopefully get lucky and find a used one or have a new one fabbed or repaired like me. I'm trying to add pics but I need to make it smaller somehow

Shamwoww88

Established Member
Here is a pic of the mount that I'm sure all you guys all know. Hopefully none of you guys brake it. I'm going to install Maximum Motorsports urethane bushing in it when I get it back.
20170615_190324 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 20170615_190324 (2).jpg
    20170615_190324 (2).jpg
    919.4 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread