Drove a 2014 Mustang today.

Jordang

Established Member
So I own a 2001 Mustang GT and my friend asked me to drive his 2014 to get beer he was hammered.

So I got out on the road and he told me to open her up. The best analogy I have for it is simply.

New Edge Mustang = writing a letter with a quill pen, its beautiful yet raw and crude and not smooth.
2011+ Mustang = writing a e-mail, simply put its smooth consistent power delivery and quiet exhaust note is a gorgeous thing to behold its complex yet simple all at the same time.

Simply put I have come to the conclusion I either need to buy a 2011-2014 Mustang or I need to take my 01 that is mint and has a perfect body and drop a coyote engine in it.

If given the option what would you do? I view my car as a blank slate I view the 2011 as a work of art. I would change a few things, like the shifter and the suspension... maybe add a few visual queues but my god its a 12 second car stock.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I would switch but it's all in what you want. I wouldn't go back to 96-04 unless it was a cobra or Mach 1.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
original

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
2011+ way easier to work on, better chassis, better/stronger motor, stronger trans/rear axle, no Power steering pump, no cable for the clutch line, just an all around easier car to work on.

New Edge - looks good, cheap, hard to make fast, shit chassis, bad suspension, you need to upgrade everything to handle power.

Your call though.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I would keep the new edge. for the price of a new coyote you could drop all that into your new edge. I know its a 13 year old car but still new edges look great. and if you plan to keep it who cares. Honestly I know I will get flamed but I cannot emphasize enough how much I dislike the 11+ 5.0 exhaust tone with any exhaust. any 4.6 motor exhaust tone over the new 5.0s

Stang Lover

Established Member
I would keep the new edge. for the price of a new coyote you could drop all that into your new edge. I know its a 13 year old car but still new edges look great. and if you plan to keep it who cares. Honestly I know I will get flamed but I cannot emphasize enough how much I dislike the 11+ 5.0 exhaust tone with any exhaust. any 4.6 motor exhaust tone over the new 5.0s

I beg to differ on coyote sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI6osTVW68E

I agree on they don't sound better than the 4.6 (atleast 4V) but the coyote does sound great.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member

Jordang

Established Member
I went and test drove a 2012 GT/CS bad move... but I dunno if I want the monthly payment I own two paid off vehicles.... We worked the numbers and for a 2012 with 12k miles it was 205 bi weekly.

Basically I did the math.

F-150 Coyote engine ( $1500 - $2500 )
Control pack ( $1560 )
headers ( $780 )
Accessory pack ( $600 )
X pipe ( $250 )
Oil Pan ( $300 )

= $6000 to drop a coyote engine in, yes its rated at 360hp but with cams and boss intake and tune I feel I would be around 390ish at the wheels.

2014 Mustang GT Premium = 250ish Bi Weekly plus with the S550 I think we will have a ton of cars lying around that are used.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I know lol, but still the 2v 4v engines sound really nice. the 5.0's sound... European?

it sounds like a high compression small cube V8 because that is what it is. That is why it sounds european because they use all the higher compression small cube V8's.

what mods to a 2v would make it move out like a coyote?

Boost +?

Boost, supporting mods, fuel pump(s), chassis upgrades, suspension upgrades, clutch upgrade, etc.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
what mods to a 2v would make it move out like a coyote?

Boost +?

boost, heads, cams, intake manifold, throttle body, upgraded rotating assembly to support over 450 rwhp, fuel system, suspension, transmission. there may be a mod or two I am forgetting about.

Jordang

Established Member
boost, heads, cams, intake manifold, throttle body, upgraded rotating assembly to support over 450 rwhp, fuel system, suspension, transmission. there may be a mod or two I am forgetting about.

I said move out like a coyote, not move out like a blown coyote pushing 12 psi

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

I said move out like a coyote, not move out like a blown coyote pushing 12 psi

A coyote pushing 12 psi would make well over 600 rwhp lol. E85 tune and full exhaust coyote will start to get near 450 rwhp.

Turkey_Lurker03

Established Member
I am a fan of the dreaded drone our cars have. My set up is lt headers, or h-pipe and Mac cat back. I know that the 4v new edges have a slightly different tone but still can have a nice drone. Wouldn't the coyote engine drone as well given the exhuast is set up the same? ( mufflers under the car not at the tailpipes?)

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I am a fan of the dreaded drone our cars have. My set up is lt headers, or h-pipe and Mac cat back. I know that the 4v new edges have a slightly different tone but still can have a nice drone. Wouldn't the coyote engine drone as well given the exhuast is set up the same? ( mufflers under the car not at the tailpipes?)

Completely different motors. Bigger cube, High compression 4v. Makes them sound completely different

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I know lol, but still the 2v 4v engines sound really nice. the 5.0's sound... European?
exactly. European is it. we were at car show last night with some guys from work all double my age lol and they have 49 Chevy and 71 camaro and we were talking about how the new cars lost that bite. New zr1s were there, 5.0s, camaro etc all sound European raspy etc. they agreed old Fox body 5.0 & mod 4.6 motors. they said mustang always had the sound but all new cars have lost that and I agree. if the new coyote sounded old school or more like 4.6 4v I would be interested

Users who are viewing this thread