Drove a 2014 Mustang today.

Turkey_Lurker03

Established Member
Completely different motors. Bigger cube, High compression 4v. Makes them sound completely different

Thanks for the info. Never would have thought that the extra displacement and compression would change the sound that much...

stangfreak

Established Member
The new mustangs are much more refined. They are great. If you want a better riding car I would make the switch. If you really don't care about that comfort, I would do a coyote swap if you just want more power.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
the new cars are super easy to go fast with, tons of driver aids and loads of tech, but I guess I'm just old school, I sometimes miss my old 56 dual quad Chevy I had in high school. like the new edge body style, and I like the fact that there's enough tech there to be fast but not enough to baby sit me, basically, I still like to drive the car myself and that everything is not run through some computer...just me. I still like the car to do what I want, I don't want to have the car dictate to me.

Massie02GT

Established Member
I say keep yours and build it. I've driven a few 11+ 5.0's and while they are quick, they're way too refined for me. The new edge is a lot more raw feeling, and that's what I personally like.

Mattstang04

Established Member
I have an 04 blown Gt making a little more power than my dad's brand new 14 GT. The 14 is a great car that you can drive every day reliably. Its easy to drive, consistent in performance, and handles like a dream compared to mine.

The 04, with only slightly more power, is raucous and constantly pissed off. The 04 has turned a corner in its life and will never be a daily driver again. Its temperamental, requires a lot of extra attention and money to ensure it stays running (currently in the shop), and thanks to my suspension mods it rides so rough a pothole could potentially crack your tooth. That being said, I take that car out and people notice. Its loud and in your face. The ProCharger screams out the front end while the Borlas thunder out the back. The power is much more explosive than 14. You don't wait for the power to come on, it seems more instantaneous and reactive. Women and children are frightened by that car. It is hell on wheels, setting off car alarms at idle. Its nastiness is kinda awesome.

Swaps are unnatural to me. You have such a hard time getting a coyote into a new edge. Once you get it shoe horned in there, some or all of your factory accessories don't work. The factory gauges don't work. You spend a lot of time trying to find very specific information on problems that may have never been encountered by anyone before.

So ask yourself what power level you want and in a tame manageable form or do you want a possessed demon road warrior apocalypse doom vessel....that will work most of the time.

Last edited:

Mattstang04

Established Member
I stand corrected. I didn't know you could make that work together. Guess that guy is lucky he has a friend who specializes in Auto-electrical systems (post 130). That would be something I would have to pay a to have done. I hate wiring.

I don't think the coyote sounds bad, mind you. But in a bone stock 14 GT its not like y2k2gt's turbo murder machine. Sounds just sick and pissed off. Tip of the hat y2k2.

Kornilov

Established Member
Dont forget, the New Edge is at least 300 lbs lighter than the Coyote and I think physically smaller as well. The Coyote's are great cars and I love mine. But I do miss my old 99GT and its relative lightness and smaller stature.

350 rwhp out of a New Edge will make it run with and even edge out stock Coyotes.

And to whoever said that Coyotes are easier to work on than the New Edges, I disagree. The Coyote while not a hard car to work on, doesnt really compare to the simplicity of the SN95.

Im not saying dont get a Coyote, but certainly find a way to keep the New Edge. And you have no reason NOT to wait. The incentives are good on Coyote's right now, but imagine what they will be in 6 weeks, when S550s are parked next to them on dealer lots. Even if you decide to get used, there will be a decent number of used 13 and 14s flooding the market, drvining used prices down on all the 11-14 cars.

If you do get a Coyote, make sure to get a track pack car as you will chase your tail and spend more money to replace the base GT's brakes, tires, wheels, suspension, and perhaps gears.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Dont forget, the New Edge is at least 300 lbs lighter than the Coyote and I think physically smaller as well. The Coyote's are great cars and I love mine. But I do miss my old 99GT and its relative lightness and smaller stature.

350 rwhp out of a New Edge will make it run with and even edge out stock Coyotes.

And to whoever said that Coyotes are easier to work on than the New Edges, I disagree. The Coyote while not a hard car to work on, doesnt really compare to the simplicity of the SN95.

Im not saying dont get a Coyote, but certainly find a way to keep the New Edge. And you have no reason NOT to wait. The incentives are good on Coyote's right now, but imagine what they will be in 6 weeks, when S550s are parked next to them on dealer lots. Even if you decide to get used, there will be a decent number of used 13 and 14s flooding the market, drvining used prices down on all the 11-14 cars.

If you do get a Coyote, make sure to get a track pack car as you will chase your tail and spend more money to replace the base GT's brakes, tires, wheels, suspension, and perhaps gears.

Good points here but i actually heard 14s are flying off the lots because the 15s are more money

Kornilov

Established Member
Good points here but i actually heard 14s are flying off the lots because the 15s are more money

Ordering an S550 track pack will run you at least $35K OTD. You can get a base S197 track pack for $28-30K OTD. The S550 is the better car though. It probably is $5K-$7K better if you are interested in a driver's car.

Even an absolute bare bones manual GT will be hard to get for under $27K. But with that, you will still be spending $5K to address suspension, wheels, tires and brakes - so you might as well get the track pack car in the first place - which brings us back to the $30K OTD price.

If you are OK with the current S197 and don't mind dropping $30K on one, just wait a few more weeks. There are plenty of new S197s that just rolled out of the factory in May and June. Those ALL wont be sold in the next 6-8 weeks. And when Fall starts to roll around and shiny new S550's are being parked next to outgoing S197s, I imagine Ford and its dealers will find even greater ways to motivate buyers to drive home an S197.

Point being that if you are in the market for an S197, you position is only going to get stronger over the next 1-2 months. So give it some time. If you miss out on getting a new one, there should be some good deals on lightly used 11-14's that were dumped for the S550.

On the other hand, imagine taking that $30K over 5 years that you would put into the new car and putting that towards your New Edge. You would end up with a monster with just half the expenditure.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Ordering an S550 track pack will run you at least $35K OTD. You can get a base S197 track pack for $28-30K OTD. The S550 is the better car though. It probably is $5K-$7K better if you are interested in a driver's car.

Even an absolute bare bones manual GT will be hard to get for under $27K. But with that, you will still be spending $5K to address suspension, wheels, tires and brakes - so you might as well get the track pack car in the first place - which brings us back to the $30K OTD price.

If you are OK with the current S197 and don't mind dropping $30K on one, just wait a few more weeks. There are plenty of new S197s that just rolled out of the factory in May and June. Those ALL wont be sold in the next 6-8 weeks. And when Fall starts to roll around and shiny new S550's are being parked next to outgoing S197s, I imagine Ford and its dealers will find even greater ways to motivate buyers to drive home an S197.

Point being that if you are in the market for an S197, you position is only going to get stronger over the next 1-2 months. So give it some time. If you miss out on getting a new one, there should be some good deals on lightly used 11-14's that were dumped for the S550.

On the other hand, imagine taking that $30K over 5 years that you would put into the new car and putting that towards your New Edge. You would end up with a monster with just half the expenditure.

i agree are we also seeing 03/04 mach and cobras and shelbys and newer gt getting dumped for the s550???

Users who are viewing this thread