DSLR guys --> D3100 vs T2i?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
So im looking at stepping into the DSLR range now and before you say it, the search function is not working right now.

From what i have been able to search on here, it seems that there are two solid answers of either the Nikon D3100 or the Canon T2i. In looking between these two, could you guys show off some pics and specify which camera/lens you were using? I was leaning towards just the 18-55mm lens in either case to start with.

As an alternative to either of these, I am curious what the opinion is on Nikon D60? I found one at a local camera shop used and it seemed the most notable differences were the lack of HD video capability and 10 Megapixels. If the newer options are worth the extra $ then I would much rather pick one of them up. How often do you guys use the movie functions of the newer cameras?

Im not looking to get crazy into photography, just make the most of some awesome settings. I am going to Antigua in June for my honeymoon and a point & shoot camera doesnt seem like it will do the scenery justice...

So, overall it seems like the Nikon is the cheaper option but has nearly the same reviews as the Canon.. so thats winning my choice right now. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance, I look forward to seeing some of yall's pics!

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Thanks, it looks like the D60 would get me some damn good pics (at least a hell of a step up from the point and shoot im used to)

I may pick up the D60 and check it out since its got a good return policy..

LSUstang05

Established Member
Any DSLR will shoot WAY better photo's than a Point and Shoot. Also, anything over 10 megapixels will be able to print a very nice sized photo (larger than 8x10) without pixelation. The biggest thing to look at with a camera, in my honest opinion, is the camera's low-light sensitivity (ISO). Newer camera's are much better with this and can shoot with higher ISO's and still retain pretty decent quality.

For example, I had an old Canon 350D and couldn't really shoot anything over 400 ISO. I could sometimes get away with 800 ISO, but that was the max I could use and it definitely limited me on some shots. I now have a Canon T2i and can shoot easily at 3200 ISO with very little issues with grain or noise.

My opinion is to go with a newer camera over a D60, honestly. Both companies make great camera's, but once you buy a brand, you buy into their ecosystem of lenses also.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ to compare specs..

use Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing for samples.. just type in the camera model in the search

Amazon also has good user-uploaded pictures for various cameras and lenses. But you have to realize, when comparing the two cameras you're looking at, the "damn good pics" were probably 90% user skill.

Whats the opinion of the 18-135 canon lens?

My 40D came with the 28-135 and I would strongly recommend it if you go Canon. I shot my first two Mile events with that lens. Good range, decent quality, reasonably sharp and pretty quick on focusing. I have the 18-55, and it's fine, but it's cheap for a reason. I got it used for $50 just to have a "beater" lens.

SpectorV

Established Member
I have a T1i with a sigma 18-5mm lens (2.8-4.5), I like it but of course the T2i is better... its just a matter of determining if the better is worth the price. I picked mine up since it shoots HD video as well.

Here is a link to tons of pics I took with my T1i Photos: The Road To The World Of Wheels

(click the pics at the bottom and you should get the full size resolution ones the first few are dark but I had to shoot holding so thus you get worse pics other than the first few they turned out good)

I ordered all my stuff from Adorama.com

Last edited:

oilwell1415

Established Member
My wife and I bought a $200 Kodak for our honeymoon 5 years ago and got dome great shots with it. I have shown some of them on 70-80" screens and they still look great. I got my wife a T2i for Christmas this year and she loves it, but in the hands of an average shooter there is zero difference between the two. I think we'll get her in a photography class next month at the juco and see if that makes a difference.

The reviews of the T2i videos are not good. If you want to do video I suggest you get a video camera.

silverstang23

Established Member
Any camera that nikon or canon makes will be a good camera. When it comes to making a decision decide if you want a canon or nikon brand. Best way to find out is go to the store and play with one of each. Things will be backwards from one to another. Next figure out what your budget is. The more money you spend (lens/body) the better it will be.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
SpectorV - Awesome pictures man! The cobra looks sick in those pictures!

Thanks for the info and the links.. I've got tons of info to dig through so its all much appreciated and i think i have decided on the T2i and unfortunately missed a killer deal today by a couple hours from slickdeals.net but ill keep looking. Not in a hurry to pick one up but definately moving that direction soon.

oilwell1415

Established Member
If you'll wait about a month, the new models will be out and you can probably pick up what is currently the new model for a lot less. Also, Canon regularly puts together deals for a camera and extra lens for around $900 which isn't a bad deal.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
If you'll wait about a month, the new models will be out and you can probably pick up what is currently the new model for a lot less. Also, Canon regularly puts together deals for a camera and extra lens for around $900 which isn't a bad deal.

Thanks for the tip.. it seems like the new Canon T3i just came out so im crossing my fingers that the t2i will see some good deals.. either way, im not rushing so ill keep my eyes open. Im sure another good deal will come along!

.. now i need to get into another cobra to start shooting again!! LOL man i need to win the lottery

Users who are viewing this thread