DSS Driveshaft Noise

evanjp

Established Member
So I had a DSS driveshaft installed and it makes a metallic rattle/clicking/tapping noise upon loading it: taking off from a stop, going into a gear, etc. if I'm cruising in like 1st or 2nd gear in a parking lot, tapping the gas makes the noise. Taking off from a stop in 1st will do it, then when i let off the gas to go to 2nd or whatever gear, upon releasing the throttle it will make the noise, and going into the next gear will make it. I have a video, two of them, but the forum isn't letting me post them from my computer or phone. It's a very strange noise.

JPC thinks it is the cv joint, that something is bad. Wouldn't a cv joint being bad cause vibration? This noise is very annoying and I have no idea what to do. The car runs really good with this shaft and I don't want to put the stock one back on. Are the cv joints on these replaceable? Anyone have an idea of what this noise could be?

hand-filer

Established Member
This seems to be a common theme with DSS units. I installed one 3 years ago that had a defective CV joint.

I took it off right away and sent it back. Bought a Shaftmaster a year later and haven't looked back.

Don't bother trying to fix the DSS, send it back.

Last edited:

evanjp

Established Member
This seems to be a common theme with DSS units. I installed one 3 years ago that had a defective CV joint.

I took it off right away and sent it back. Bought a Shaftmaster a year later and haven't looked back.

Don't bother trying to fix the DSS, send it back.

Did it make a similar sounding noise?? Describe how you knew the cv was bad if you don't mind

hand-filer

Established Member
Mine sounded like a cement mixer at low speeds with slight vibration. It depends on the type of failure as to the sound. Invariably the root cause is almost always the CV joint. I suspect the majority of failures are from damage during assembly of the driveshaft at the time of manufacture.

DSS includes instructions for checking clearance relating to the length of the driveshaft. If the slip yoke isn't extended to the correct length, that can definitely take out the CV joint.

I'm sure your installer would have taken that into account.

kdaly

Established Member
Its the story of my life. I'm on my third and its still garbage. I'll be getting a different one when I wanna get back underneath the car. Plus their customer service isnt wonderful either.

evanjp

Established Member
It's a metallic pinging, like almost sounds like something is hitting something under the car. It's odd. I'm supposed to be running my car at MIR on Sunday too.

kdaly

Established Member
It's a metallic pinging, like almost sounds like something is hitting something under the car. It's odd. I'm supposed to be running my car at MIR on Sunday too.

Nailed it, sounds broken at all times. I was convinced my current DSS would be shit that I didnt even throw away the box. Glad I didnt.

kdaly

Established Member
Yeah, same damn noise. Its actually pretty embarrassing because it sounds like your car is broken. Crazy even just engaging a gear will do it too. I think im going to go with the ford racing one. I hear shiftmaster is great but i know ford racing will be flawless even if its heavier.

kdaly

Established Member
Oh yeah forgot to answer your ?. So first time they replaced it and paid for shipping. Second time they replaced it but I had to pay for shipping there, and it took an act of congress to get that done, and it took almost two weeks to get it fixed because the first time they gave me a new one but the second they "fixed" my old one so they had to take time and diagnose and make sure it was ****ed first. I even told them that it was my daily driver and the quicker the better as I was using a rental and he said he would keep me updated. I called him after three days and they said they should have some info on it that day or the next and that he would let me know, all the while I reiterated that I was paying for a rental. Never heard back, all i got was an automated email from ups that something was shipping to my addy. #truth

evanjp

Established Member
God damn it. Not what I wanted to hear, although glimmer of hope is the first new one they sent you.

Is it safe to run the car at the strip with the cv making this noise?? The car feels great with this shaft and I feel like I could blow away my last PB time.

CPRsm

Installed a brand new one and does it. It's the aluminum shaft. CV isn't worn or anything. I can make it do the noise by hand rotating back and forth in park. Customer is getting the CF unit. It's the tube making the noise for some reason on this car though

evanjp

Established Member
What company would everyone recommend? Shaft masters seems to have a good following? What would everyone recommend. Looks like I need to get a new one and try to sell this one somehow.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
We have had no issues with our dynatech driveshaft. EXCELLENT quality. Nice piece, well worth the money. Its been on for about 4 years now I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread