Dss issue

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So I have had a dss one piece installed for over 10k. Pinion angle set at -1 with heim joint upper and lowers. Started hearing a metal to metal sound when getting on the brake. Jacked all four corners up and ran the car, made the smae sound and we tracked it to about 4" from the back of the driveshaft, we tried clocking the driveshaft, no change. Ended up reinstalling the stock shaft setting pinion to -1 again and no noise.

Few days later I gave the dss another try both with and without my driveshaft loop, stiffy. Same noise, no change. DSS said I can send it in to get checked but there are no parts inside that could be making the noise, no noise when the driveshaft is off the car shaking it back and fourth.

I really don't want to waste the money shipping the shaft to dss to find out it is not my problem, any suggestions. Stock two piece is in and other than the fact it weighs an ass ton no issues.

Any help or suggestions would be great, thank you in advance.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This noise is more than just dif noise. I know that with the heim joints I would hear more noise.

Noise only started about a week ago, no change to rear susp, settings, tires, etc.

nonliberal

Established Member
Have you tried any other driveshaft angle like 0 or -2? The stock one will move and not cause a noise where the one piece is set and will not move. Might have a pinion bearing going bad.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Have you tried any other driveshaft angle like 0 or -2? The stock one will move and not cause a noise where the one piece is set and will not move. Might have a pinion bearing going bad.

I have not, but will give that a try this weekend. I did the major rebuild kit when I swapped from 3.73 to 3.31 less than 13k miles ago.

StangLoveR

Established Member
Thinking outside the box, is it the exhaust bumping into the chassis or driveshaft?

Edit: Ah, just saw your post saying there is no sound with the stock d/s...

Last edited:

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thinking outside the box, is it the exhaust bumping into the chassis or driveshaft?

Edit: Ah, just saw your post saying there is no sound with the stock d/s...

We spent a good hour under my car checking any and all possible options before pulling the driveshaft. I have a good 1" or better of clearance around the exhaust. I have grabbed the tip and shook it back and fourth and have maybe a 1/4" of play so no way the exhuast is touching anything. Also the noise can only really be heard when I am driving and get on the brakes, between my exhaust and bov you really can't hear shit.

Keep the possible things to check coming. I think I will try to change the pinion angle to -2 or 0.

lindermant

Established Member
the back end of the shaft (with cv joint), does it move in/out freely when disconnected?

does it make any noise when you extend/compress it by hand?

Does the cv joint make any noise?

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the back end of the shaft (with cv joint), does it move in/out freely when disconnected?

does it make any noise when you extend/compress it by hand?

Does the cv joint make any noise?

cv makes noise and it sounds like the same sound. I can pull it and shift it side to side and the noise is same as when on the car. Don't think I will be installing this on my car tomorrow to try pinion angle change.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just read that full thread. I never contacted anyone other than dss, they made a ticket and told me to send it in. I just wanted to try all possible fixes before I sent it in.

Thank you for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread