Dubi

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
That's cool, the hardest drug I take is Ibuprofen.
BTW, I did some of the work on the air jet detectors you see at airports. Depending on how much much money you have to spend, they can detect more than tiny amounts of drugs. They support multilple detectors/electronics. At least the ones I was involved in did.
Detectors are very expensive. a 1x1 Sodium Iodide crystal which are grown are ~$300.00 a piece.
A multi nuclide detector... start at about 10k for a fancy digital one. Analog detectors are still used. They're called ruggedized because they can stand the beating Rad techs do using them as a claw hammer.. :)
Jeff

Last edited:

Common

Established Member
Dubai is outrageously expensive.

+1

My friend (Owner of Extreme Race cars) is going for two months for his second time to buildn a certain type of off road truck for some royalty there, he said it's unreal but very nice place IF you have money to enjoy all that comes with it.

Common

Established Member
Think they compensate with good sized paychecks.
I was thinking of banking much money as possible then returning to the states in the future.
Jeff

That is true too. Although this might not be your field related, they were paying a shop "helper" he brought with him close to 500$ per day rate. He did not disclose how much he made, nor did I find it was my place to ask.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I was also an IT guy that was one of the lucky ones who in a small capacity helped started the first website in the US.
Jeff

Dude....you help start the internet? How was working with Al Gore?

JK...Live everyone else said I have a friend that spent some time over there and he said it's expensive.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
A few points.

1. Are you going to work for a private American company or the Dubai Government?
2. is your housing paid for by the employer?
3. How much of your utilities are going to be paid by the employer?
4. Living on the economy or on a military installation?
5. remember that you will pay U.S. taxes at your gross salary tax rate even tho 85K of it is excluded.
6. do NOT let your employer hold your passport if they insist on it do not go.
7. If you are going to work for a foreign company be very very careful you can get screwed out of promised pay and benefits.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
A few points.

1. Are you going to work for a private American company or the Dubai Government?
2. is your housing paid for by the employer?
3. How much of your utilities are going to be paid by the employer?
4. Living on the economy or on a military installation?
5. remember that you will pay U.S. taxes at your gross salary tax rate even tho 85K of it is excluded.
6. do NOT let your employer hold your passport if they insist on it do not go.
7. If you are going to work for a foreign company be very very careful you can get screwed out of promised pay and benefits.
These are all good questions. That's why I asked for a few details first.
Multiple positions are available
Some will be answered Monday between 07:00-13:00.
Thanks for your input.
Jeff

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Dude....you help start the internet? How was working with Al Gore?

JK...Live everyone else said I have a friend that spent some time over there and he said it's expensive.
Funny, just finished a beer with old Al.. Lol
Bet Tim Berners-Lee had a fit when Gore said that.
Lee mostly did the WWW, HTTP, URL and HTML part. Europe had the first internet site. Stanford University had the first US site.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread