duratec 3.0 swap? need some help..

kyled43

duratec 3.0 swap? 1997 3l work? need input..

i can get a 1997 3l duratec for a decent price, my question is what would i have to do to make it run in my 2000 contour svt, and would the 97 work? bc ive read a few posts saying that you want 02-04? all advice, answers, or help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

bhiggs89

Established Member
Can I ask why you would go to the 3.0l? Kind of a dead end engine...

False

you really dont gain hp or anything swaping you can get more power out of the 2.5

False. N/A 2.5 dyno around 180/160 at the wheels. 3L's, once tuned, range from 200-230/200 at the wheels. 3L motors are also cheaper to find than SVT 2.5's

Don't listen to those people, they obviously do not know anything about these cars.

As for the 97 into your 2000; you would need to swap over your fuel parts (rail, injectors) from your 2.5 motor to the 3.0 motor. If you havent already, go to contour.org and search through the 3L section, as it has more knowledge than you would ever wish to know.

ISpool4U

Established Member
Can I ask why you would go to the 3.0l? Kind of a dead end engine...

Dead engine? It's been used in everything from the Lincoln LS to the Mazda6 to the Jaguar Type S

you really dont gain hp or anything swaping you can get more power out of the 2.5

:bash:

Anyways, I would avoid using the older 3L (Make it's the DOHC Duratec, not the SOHC Vulcan). They had an electric water pump vs. a cam driven water pump among other differences in the later models. A duratec from '01-04 Taurus/Sable/Escape provides the most direct swap, although some are successfully using later models. Personally I have an '01 Taurus 3L in mine

Last edited:

kyled43

from what im getting is that your recomending just finding a later model engine and using it? my 2.5 has 153xxx on it and is just starting to fall on its face, so im wanting to do the most direct and frankly simplest swap i can, i dont know much about fords or really much about anything newer then 1990, this will be my first attempt at something like this in a newer vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread