Dust!!!!

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
What are you guys using to dust your dark colored cars ? 1 day after a full detail my car can get a layer of dust on it. I've tried a few different california dusters, they all tend to leave red fivers and wax streaks on my car. I've just be GDWM panel by panel before I ever take the car out.

Thoughts ?

Thanks!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
The dirtier the dusters get, the better they work. After a while, they'll stop leaving the streaks on your car.

WRONG!! - California Dusters can scratch your paint - I wouldn't use them AT ALL.

GDWM - will work fairly well in between washes. Been using it for a couple yrs now. In fact unless the vehicle is extremely dirty it's the only method I use to wash a car.

Farrell5.0

Established Member
Well, I've used them on my black fox for years and haven't had issues with scratching or swirling that I can see. I guess it depends on how anal you are.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Well, I've used them on my black fox for years and haven't had issues with scratching or swirling that I can see. I guess it depends on how anal you are.

Take an LED light or a Brinkman swirl finder light - shine it on the paint and tell us what you see. I promise- dusters will put scratches and micromarring in the paint.

zerpies

Established Member
Take an LED light or a Brinkman swirl finder light - shine it on the paint and tell us what you see. I promise- dusters will put scratches and micromarring in the paint.

Wow would have never thought they would scratch the paint!

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
The duster works fine as long as you use it properly. I also haven't had any problems with the duster scratching the paint -- it's an old wives tale that I hear constantly from people who don't use it properly or have never used it at all.

[video=youtube;8gVU4C_6wOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVU4C_6wOE[/video]

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a California duster I've never used. As long as the paint correction took on my Mach 1 I won't risk using it. 2 full days of polishing etc sucks but is well worth it. My car stays under a cover when clean so no dust in the garage. Any light dust I always use Ultima waterless wash as a detailer and good microfiber towels. For the American muscle show, I drove 3 hours and used the GDWM which made my car look like I just washed it. Wiping anything dry over your paint is not a good thing. If you guys used a brinkman light on your cars you would see things only direct sunlight shows. Also if you're not using at least a double bucket and grit guards when washing, you are marring your paint.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
i have a california duster i've never used. As long as the paint correction took on my mach 1 i won't risk using it. 2 full days of polishing etc sucks but is well worth it. My car stays under a cover when clean so no dust in the garage. Any light dust i always use ultima waterless wash as a detailer and good microfiber towels. For the american muscle show, i drove 3 hours and used the gdwm which made my car look like i just washed it. Wiping anything dry over your paint is not a good thing. If you guys used a brinkman light on your cars you would see things only direct sunlight shows. Also if you're not using at least a double bucket and grit guards when washing, you are marring your paint.

This exactly!!

Last edited:

Spiney

Established Member
When not in use our car is garaged. It's a Black Cobra that shows everything. But it still got dusty. Using even a good quality car cover scratched it, so my wife bought at a close out store a large flannel sheet set. We now cover after parking. Huge difference. When not on car, sheet is in a big plastic bag.

I also use Croftgate Aquanil in between with several top MF towels to do a WW.

Electrokid

Established Member
Is your car waxed or sealed? Waxes tend to attract more dust. You might want to think about using something like Cquartz to coat your vehicle, reducing the amount of dust that will stick. Then when you drive, the dust will more or less just blow off. If you're taking it to a show, just pack a bag of microfibers and QD spray, and give it a light wipe down when you get there.
That's the way I've been doing it, and grabber blue paint is the softest I have ever worked with - Still no marring from this method.

mach14604

Established Member
Yes they do!

Take a closer look there is issues I gurantee it.

WRONG!! - California Dusters can scratch your paint - I wouldn't use them AT ALL.
+1

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
california dusters are bad for the paint. You're rubbing dust into the paint. The same reason as to why you arent supposed to touch the pannels when theres dust on them, because you'll smear the dust into the paint and scratch it.

Rinse, wash, then call it a day. I dont even use covers for that reason. Dust will get under them and my garage is a somewhat high traffic area and I dont want the wind to move the cover around ontop of dust.

kbmag1

Established Member
Try FK 425 or their anti static poli wipe QD sprays...to greatly minimize the dust attraction of your car's paint. Leaves the finish supuer slick as well. I picked up a bottle of CG Synthetic Detailer as it is supposed to reduce dust attraction. To remove dust....use a WW product.

Users who are viewing this thread