Dyno appt next month. Help me prepare

BdJames

Established Member
This will be my first time experience with a dyno tune. Car has been stock for a long time. I have a 04 with 24000 miles on her. Just recently upgraded to billetflow 2.93 and idlers. Jlt next gen cai off road x and cat back. I have a tune from bama on my sct right now. I also have the dragon tb and plenum but I am selling it for accufab or ford racing. Hate the idle issues. Anyway, this will be my first time on the rollers and need some knowledge. Right now I have the o2 sensors in. One needs replaced however but i know that some of my friends have the o2 sensors capped on their LS1. Since I know nothing about the actual tuning process I am asking if I should replaced one bad sensor or will they be turned off in the tune? Is this a preference? I would ask my tuner but they are closed right now since it's late and I wanted to post. Thanks for the help and tolerating my tuning ignorance.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
If it is a front o2 sensor then you still need that to be working. If it is a rear it maybe turned off in the tune, unless you need to meet any emissions testing.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
This will be my first time experience with a dyno tune. Car has been stock for a long time. I have a 04 with 24000 miles on her. Just recently upgraded to billetflow 2.93 and idlers. Jlt next gen cai off road x and cat back. I have a tune from bama on my sct right now. I also have the dragon tb and plenum but I am selling it for accufab or ford racing. Hate the idle issues. Anyway, this will be my first time on the rollers and need some knowledge. Right now I have the o2 sensors in. One needs replaced however but i know that some of my friends have the o2 sensors capped on their LS1. Since I know nothing about the actual tuning process I am asking if I should replaced one bad sensor or will they be turned off in the tune? Is this a preference? I would ask my tuner but they are closed right now since it's late and I wanted to post. Thanks for the help and tolerating my tuning ignorance.

Who is tuning it? My dragon setup has idled fine with zero tweaks. I think the tune plays a large role in some of these issues. As a test, I put an Accufab on to see how it would react and it wouldn't idle at all with the same tune as the dragon setup. I drove it around for awhile with the Accufab and it didn't change at all. This leads me to believe that with the right tuner you can get any of them to work just fine.

big dad

Established Member
For your informaton the rear most sensors are referred to as cat monitors. They even have a different part number.

BdJames

Established Member
If it is a front o2 sensor then you still need that to be working. If it is a rear it maybe turned off in the tune, unless you need to meet any emissions testing.

No emission required here. It's a rear sensor.

Who is tuning it? My dragon setup has idled fine with zero tweaks. I think the tune plays a large role in some of these issues. As a test, I put an Accufab on to see how it would react and it wouldn't idle at all with the same tune as the dragon setup. I drove it around for awhile with the Accufab and it didn't change at all. This leads me to believe that with the right tuner you can get any of them to work just fine.
http://Paulsautomotiveengineering.com mike from pauls will be tuning it and we spoke about the dragon. He is confident he can tune it to idle better but he says the best for idle in our cars is the accufab or ford racing

For your informaton the rear most sensors are referred to as cat monitors. They even have a different part number.
Appreciate the knowledge.

Don't sell the dragon, your tuner can fix your idle issues like Shadow Grey said.

Will think about it. It still has the awful hanging idle issue as well. Is that tunable?

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
The hanging issue should calm down on its own or yes the Tuner should be able to work with it.

nrmustang

Established Member
Its good practice to make sure everything is running up to snuff.

However, your rear 02's can be turned off no problem. All aftermarket mid-pipes are considered "off-road", but are you completely catless? If so, then the sensors will be turned off in the tune. Some prefer to leave those turned on so they can pass smog with that tune loaded.

What plugs are you running? Gap? Otherwise, everything you have sounds good! But I would communicate with your tuner ahead of time, tell him what you have and ask what he wants.

ctgreddy

Established Member
nrmustang hit it on the head bringing up spark plugs. if you haven't touched them I would suggest getting a set of ngk tr6's and gapping them around .032. They're cheap and most stores stock them.

About the idle issues it really doesn't matter which tb you use, without any port work a single blade wont be much if any gain anyways. Paul should be able to tune it in good but if you're worried about it then swap it for an accufab or billetflow if you can find one.

BdJames

Established Member
Its good practice to make sure everything is running up to snuff.

However, your rear 02's can be turned off no problem. All aftermarket mid-pipes are considered "off-road", but are you completely catless? If so, then the sensors will be turned off in the tune. Some prefer to leave those turned on so they can pass smog with that tune loaded.

What plugs are you running? Gap? Otherwise, everything you have sounds good! But I would communicate with your tuner ahead of time, tell him what you have and ask what he wants.

It is cat less. Plugs are tr6 gapped right at .32. Just changed oil. I use royal purple full synthetic.
I have talked with tuner. But as said, the tb won't give me much hp with my setup. So I don't want to lose drivability as a result.

nrmustang hit it on the head bringing up spark plugs. if you haven't touched them I would suggest getting a set of ngk tr6's and gapping them around .032. They're cheap and most stores stock them.

About the idle issues it really doesn't matter which tb you use, without any port work a single blade wont be much if any gain anyways. Paul should be able to tune it in good but if you're worried about it then swap it for an accufab or billetflow if you can find one.

Agree. I think I will see how it goes with the tuning.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Hey I was just saying since he already had it lol. At your level now any sbtb isn't going to add any power. All it will do is add the the "tip-in" throttle response.

Users who are viewing this thread