Dyno Freak?

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
My numbers seem a little high, tell me what you guys think. I made 563rwhp with a steeda cold air and sct tune, metco 2.8 pulley, catted x with resonators and I iced the blower a bit. For people with similar mods it seems a bit on the high side. Dyno jet at 4,400 ft above sea level. Tell me what you guys think and some mod suggestions!
P.S. im the new guy around here

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Welcome to SVTP!! And the GT500 Forum! Great bunch of guys here.

Not sure what year Shelby you have, but "normal" SAE horsepower numbers for your setup is in the 520 range. Every dyno is different and I'm sure that DA has the potential to play havoc with the results, even though the computer is supposed to adjust for it.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
Forget dynos those are just for tuning the car and every dyno is different. Some read stupid high, others low. Take it to the track and see if its an all around freak.

IA Shelby

Established Member
On that dyno yes, numbers do seem high. Posi isn't porting anymore, I might be convinced to sell mine though. :dw:

What is the going price for a used posi sc/plenum? How much extra HP over stock does it provide?

I might be interested.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
What is the going price for a used posi sc/plenum? How much extra HP over stock does it provide?

I might be interested.

I've only seen one like mine sell, it went for 1100 I believe plus shipping. With this setup guys are making 575 at the wheel, I'll know for sure in the next few weeks when I hit the dyno. What I paid....

Blower 350
VMP Elbow 300
Port work 540
Machined Snout 100
2.4 Pulley 150

So about 1440 total, it screams too. I might sell to fund my whipple or just go 10% lower, not sure yet.

IronTerp

Do you think 600 is possible with the 2.6 pulley and a posi port?
Be pretty tough to achieve 600 at that boost level. If you added a lower pulley and did an aftermarket throttle body/plenum, you'd have a pretty good chance of hitting it.

There's a used Posi ported blower in the market for $600 right now I believe. And there's always a chance that Posi can be "talked into" doing a port every now and then!

I run practically the same setup at Nightride, minus the VMP plenum, and after I sold my stock blower, the setup cost $725 or so. Results in sig..... Excellent bang for your buck.

And IA Shelby, you're going to get about 30-35 RWHP from the Posi ported blower/plenum/throttle body. The GT500 M-122's are not only bigger that the Terminator M-112's, but also have better flow dynamics. Porting doesn't bring as good of improvement with the GT500 blower.

Last edited:

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
If you plan on more power down the road, which I can tell you are.... Just save that money for the VMP TVS 2.3 it will be the best bang for buck when compared to all the extra money spent on the stock blower.

IronTerp

If you plan on more power down the road, which I can tell you are.... Just save that money for the VMP TVS 2.3 it will be the best bang for buck when compared to all the extra money spent on the stock blower.
The "bang for your buck" part of your post is argueable. Modifying the stock blower to perform at a higher level is not an expensive project and resale if/when one progesses to an aftermarket blower is excellent. Why drive around with a dozer for a year+ waiting to save money, when you can hit high 500's for cheap?? :shrug:

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
The "bang for your buck" part of your post is argueable. Modifying the stock blower to perform at a higher level is not an expensive project and resale if/when one progesses to an aftermarket blower is excellent. Why drive around with a dozer for a year+ waiting to save money, when you can hit high 500's for cheap?? :shrug:

How cheap are you talking about is the question..... And who wants to be maxed out at the high 500 rwhp range??? Ok let's see

These are just my estimates based on Threads I have seen:
-Stock- 480-500 rwhp
-Tune/2.6pulley- 540-550 rwhp..Tuner/pulley/idler/tune=$700

-10% Lower- 560-570 rwhp...$600

-LT headers or o/r pipe- 570-580 rwhp...$400-1400

Ported blower/elbow- ??? Idk... $600

So pretty close to a TVS if you ask me but I do see your point. Hard to save up for a blower when you have a stock GT500. I definitely didn't wait to save for one. I have spent well over 2 grand on parts and still not to 550 yet!!!!!

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I think what IronTerp is saying is that it's easier for most on a budget to max out the eaton first instead of slugging around town. Everyone always says don't waste money on a pulley/tune just do a blower swap. You can always sell the pulley or the ported blower and get about 75% of your money back. You need the tuner when you add mods anyway so I've never really understood this argument. All that other stuff you just listed adds to the tvs, lower pulley, exhaust and even a bigger CAI. A waste of money is when you just KB your car, don't upgrade anything else and can't hook through the first 3 gears.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
There are dyno that are feaks, not cars themselves.

Sent with my over sized Johnson

IronTerp

Want to be careful here not to derail WHITESTRIPES's thread, but I think the dyno numbers below and mods it took to achieve them, will give him a good idea on the accuracy of his dyno pull.

99cobraUgotbit, as I'm sure you probably know, these cars (2013 not included!) are pretty much dawgs from the factory. I had a pulley, CAI, and tune done not long after I bought the car. As you can see below there is a significant price difference between what you think it costs to make an Eaton run, and reality. No biggie as tons of folks here feel that jumping to aftermarket blower is the only way to go anyway. But many (me included!), can't do the $3,500 for blower setup, then add cost of CAI, exhaust, throttle body, etc right after buying their GT500's......So, having fun with the Eaton can be a viable option for many.

On Wednesday afternoon, went to Blankenship Performance to have Lee work his tuning expertise on my 2007 GT500 which has 5,850 miles on it.

Performance mods:
Posi ported M-122 Eaton ($500)
Posi ported OEM throttle body & plenum ($85)
Autoliberte 2.40" upper pulley ($160)
JLT CAI ($300)
Magnaflow axle back mufflers ($423)
Lethal off-road X pipe ($200)
NGK TRG plugs at .032 (Free!)

Results:
Pull #3: 544 RWHP, 528 RWTQ w/ 16 degrees of advance timing
Pull #4: 560 RWHP, 539 RWTQ w/ 18.5 degrees of advance timing
Pull #5: 578 RWHP, 549 RWTQ w/ 20.5 degrees of advance timing

Lee made 6 total pulls and did an excellent job of dialing in the air/fuel at a consistent 11.6-11.7 ratio. The pulls were made approx. 20 minutes apart and IAT2's were consistently in the 115 degree range with outside temps in the low 70's and Lee's big shop fan blowing through an AFCO HE without fans.

Observations:
- Autoliberte's 2.40" upper pulley which requires the blower snout being shaved a bit, (thanks Posi!!), provided a consistent 14 lbs of boost. Boost levels hit 13 lbs at the first hit (approx 2,400 rpm), and climbed to 14 lbs by 3,500 rpms, and held constant up till the pulls were shut down, (6,200+/- rpm).

- Am running a 90mm replacement upper idler and stock belt with the 2.40" pulley. Am not running an aux idler setup. After studying boost consistency, closely examining horsepower production on the dyno graph, and looking for possible physical evidence of belt dust, there appears to be absolutely no sign of belt slip with the 2.40" upper pulley.

- High rpm power production on all pulls supports the fact that Posi's Eaton porting provides excellent consistency at 6,000+ rpm. Power production was still slightly increasing at the end of all pulls.

- We made a 6th pull with 22 degrees of timing and power was nearly identical to Pull #5 above which had 20.5 degrees.

Conclusion:
Running a very conservative Eaton setup which features a Posi Performance ported blower with a 2.40" upper pulley can produce very respectable RWHP levels at a very modest cost (about $1,600+/-).

Users who are viewing this thread