Dyno numbers

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Hey if you like working on your car and trying to learn new things then go ahead and doit. If you don't have the ability or the cash to pay someone then leave it alone. I'm not trying to be a d**k but thats what it boils down to. No I haven't degree my cams but do I think I wasted my time, NO. Out of all my mods that one was the best "seat of the pants" feel. I'm sure that there are a few more hp's in degreeing them but that is for guys who really know what they are doing, I ain't that good. I didn't say the k-member had to come out it just MAY need to be loosened, it has 6 bolts. I think for the time and money it was a good mod and I'm pretty sure PCPRO will agree.

I was merely stating that you didn't provide ALL the info that was asked. SOTP means SQUAT. Ever wonder why there are factory freaks out there?....it's called slight difference in cam timing. Imagine if you have them degreed now (assuming your mark isn't correct - which it may be).

Personally...I think gonig with these cams is a waste no matter what, but we all have our opinions and I didn't say that until now.

vols fan

Established Member
I never said you couldn't degree them or that you shouldn't I just said you don't have too. I didn't do it on mine but when I put my ported short runner in I may.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I never said you couldn't degree them or that you shouldn't I just said you don't have too. I didn't do it on mine but when I put my ported short runner in I may.

You left it open for misinterpretation.

Secondly, where did I say that you stated you couldn't or shouldn't?:shrug:

I clarified for pho pizzat so he knew the entire story. Not just "we didn't".

vols fan

Established Member
Ok dude you win. I'm not going to keep going back and forth over something that we don't to see eye to eye on to begin with. The guy ask a question and I answered it to the best of my knowledge. I was told that you don't have to degree them and since I didn't have $250 for adjustable cams gears, I didn't. Its up to the other guys weather they do it or not. If they feel, as you do, that it is not a worthwhile mod then fine by me. I was only trying to help.

PCPRO

Big Daddy
Established Member
Guys, these are factory cams not aftermarket cams,they were installed by Ford in a 98 Cobra engine by the keyway and not degreed.

You can install them by the keyway and make good power just like Travis and I are. If you want to make the most power you can with the cams, then they SHOULD be degreed. NA SVT is going to help me degree and advance mine to squeeze a little more out of the set up.

Aftermarket cams should ALWAYS be degreed!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Ok dude you win. I'm not going to keep going back and forth over something that we don't to see eye to eye on to begin with. The guy ask a question and I answered it to the best of my knowledge. I was told that you don't have to degree them and since I didn't have $250 for adjustable cams gears, I didn't. Its up to the other guys weather they do it or not. If they feel, as you do, that it is not a worthwhile mod then fine by me. I was only trying to help.
Water under the bridge man.

Guys, these are factory cams not aftermarket cams,they were installed by Ford in a 98 Cobra engine by the keyway and not degreed.

You can install them by the keyway and make good power just like Travis and I are. If you want to make the most power you can with the cams, then they SHOULD be degreed. NA SVT is going to help me degree and advance mine to squeeze a little more out of the set up.

Aftermarket cams should ALWAYS be degreed!

Now see......there's a very realistic post.:beer:

Nineonesix

Established Member
Well w/e the case is I need/want more hp while keeping is smog legal lol. I dont know of anything else to do besides, intake, intake spacer, weld in mufflers and tune.:shrug:

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Well w/e the case is I need/want more hp while keeping is smog legal lol. I dont know of anything else to do besides, intake, intake spacer, weld in mufflers and tune.:shrug:

current and future Mod list and plans/target for your car and I'll gladly offer up any advice.:beer:

Nineonesix

Established Member
current and future Mod list and plans/target for your car and I'll gladly offer up any advice.:beer:

Well anything is possible. It needs to be a daily driver though. Im just not sure of anything else that doesnt cost 1k+. Even gears is kinda pricy at $600.

Nineonesix

Established Member

Well anything is possible. It needs to be a daily driver though. Im just not sure of anything else that doesnt cost 1k+. Even gears is kinda pricy at $600 but im not sure I wanna take that step to 4.10s or not as well.

Nineonesix

Established Member
yeah, btu IDK what mods you have now, or looking at. LOL

Well so far I have just a JLT rai, tune w/xcal2, roy intake spacer 1/2inch, and some flowmasters. Its all through an auto. I did have an o/r xpipe but I got pulled over (let off with a warning) so im not going to risk the 10k fine lol.

I dont think there is anything left to do without getting more into the engine is where I was getting at. Gears and suspension?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Well so far I have just a JLT rai, tune w/xcal2, roy intake spacer 1/2inch, and some flowmasters. Its all through an auto. I did have an o/r xpipe but I got pulled over (let off with a warning) so im not going to risk the 10k fine lol.

I dont think there is anything left to do without getting more into the engine is where I was getting at. Gears and suspension?

Gotcha....well....here's other bolt ons you can look into.

Alum DS.
Full Catback (not sure if you have weld ins or ?)
Electric WP

Other items:
GEars (mentioned)
Stall (I'd do that before gears with an auto)
Full SBFC

Looks:
Lowered, wider rims/tires.

After that it's some kind of PA or Cams/Midlength headers (which I wouldn't do, but that's me).

Nineonesix

Established Member
Gotcha....well....here's other bolt ons you can look into.

Alum DS.
Full Catback (not sure if you have weld ins or ?)
Electric WP

Other items:
GEars (mentioned)
Stall (I'd do that before gears with an auto)
Full SBFC

Looks:
Lowered, wider rims/tires.

After that it's some kind of PA or Cams/Midlength headers (which I wouldn't do, but that's me).

Yea I have just weld in's. I also forgot to mention I have 18x9 and 18x10s fr500 with the rears wrapped in nitto nt555 285.

If I do the stall wont the rear end need to be upgraded? I was also thinking about control arms but was told just to leave the stock uppers in. Any truth behind this? Sorry for the derailment .

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Yea I have just weld in's. I also forgot to mention I have 18x9 and 18x10s fr500 with the rears wrapped in nitto nt555 285.

If I do the stall wont the rear end need to be upgraded? I was also thinking about control arms but was told just to leave the stock uppers in. Any truth behind this? Sorry for the derailment .

IDK about CA's. I'm not too familiar with them. I've known guys to swap both lower and upper, and also just the lower. I don't really have any advice on that one..sorry.

no. A stall won't really increase any initial shock to the rear end, and that's really what kills them. Initial shock with instant traction. IMO, a for sure mod for an A4 pre S197 stang.

Mach1Chick

Wanna Race?
Established Member
Heyy! Just wanted to put it out there. I daily drive AND drag race my 04 Mach 1. You can see what i have on it in my signature, and i would highly suggest gears and bumping up your axles to 31 spline. I dont have any engine work done to the car, and you dont have to either to get your car going a second and a half faster. ponygt65 knows me (from here of course lol) and has seen my slips (well that was before i had the tune).

vols fan

Established Member
Well anything is possible. It needs to be a daily driver though. Im just not sure of anything else that doesnt cost 1k+. Even gears is kinda pricy at $600 but im not sure I wanna take that step to 4.10s or not as well.

It cost $600 bucks to put gears in!?!?! Wtf? I had no idea it cost that much. I got my gears with parts and labor for $200. I guess it means alot to have friends who also work at the Ford dealership. You can modify your rear lower control arms yourself. Just take them off the car and trace them on to a piece of metal and then cut the piece out and weld it to the arm. That gives you a boxed LCA that is as good as the aftermarket ones. PCPRO told me about that trick. You can also weld your axle tubes completely around to make the rear end stronger.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Heyy! Just wanted to put it out there. I daily drive AND drag race my 04 Mach 1. You can see what i have on it in my signature, and i would highly suggest gears and bumping up your axles to 31 spline. I dont have any engine work done to the car, and you dont have to either to get your car going a second and a half faster. ponygt65 knows me (from here of course lol) and has seen my slips (well that was before i had the tune).
:beer:

But if he doesn't have the $$ for that right now, I think a stall would be the next best. No?

It cost $600 bucks to put gears in!?!?! Wtf? I had no idea it cost that much. I got my gears with parts and labor for $200. I guess it means alot to have friends who also work at the Ford dealership. You can modify your rear lower control arms yourself. Just take them off the car and trace them on to a piece of metal and then cut the piece out and weld it to the arm. That gives you a boxed LCA that is as good as the aftermarket ones. PCPRO told me about that trick. You can also weld your axle tubes completely around to make the rear end stronger.
Yep...you definitely got a good deal. $600 is what I was quoted when I was shopping around, and I had the 4.30s already. Gear install is one thing I dont' mind paying $$ for though. From what I've seen the lower the $$, the worse the work. :shrug:

BTW - sorry for the hijack man.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread