Dyno questions......

IGO 202

Established Member
Well I've got my 1,000 miles on my '13 GT and headed to the dyno on Sunday to get some baseline pulls while 100% stock.

I'm wondering with my top speed limiter still in place will he be able to make a full pull in 5th with my 3.31's or will he need to go to 4th?

Do the dyno numbers vary between 4th & 5th with back to back pulls?

I know bikes will make a few more hp in 5th over 4th.

Thanks,
Dan

burke985

Established Member
I wanna say that the rev limiter would hit in 5th on bone stock car , ive dynoed mine twice but both times i had a tune on it

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Do a full pull but in 4th.

Do your mods in the future....go back to the same dyno, do a pull in 4th to compare...then go ahead and do one in your 1:1 gear....5th.

Edit: You can get an accurate dyno reading in 4th. It will be just as accurate when you do it again in 4th to compare any power gains from mods (witch is what dynos are best at). If you wanting to compare on the internet....your gonna have to do it in a gear most others use. But then again there is always deviation from dyno to dyno. So do you pulls, and let every one know....but the fruit of it all will be seen after some mods/tuning..then of course you can always do it again in 4th.

Chris

Last edited:

IGO 202

Established Member
Thanks guys for the replies.

Chris, I know there is so many variables that comparisons on the internet is pointless but I'll do what you stated about before & after pulls in fourth so it'll be apples to apples. I'll go to the same dyno ASAP, my parts are already coming in so the time frame won't be too far apart. I'd like to have reasonably close weather conditions & the mileage close.
I'll have 5th gear pulled during the following visit too.

Nothing too crazy since it's momma's car. Just wondering what a difference the Steeda X pipe with hi-flow cats, GT500 mufflers, C&L CAI, Boss intake, BBK 85mm TB & tune will make. Gonna wait until after the second dyno session to install her gear, trying to decide between the 3.73's & 4.10's.

Thanks again,
Dan

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
After today im convinced that the only way to get an accurate reading of gains is go to the same dyno reguardless of which make or model.

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
Dan good luck and looking forward to your results! on a side note I see you are from maryville. I was raised in Seymour just down Maryville Highway! I head back that way all the time. also you wouldnt happen to be on ETR would you?

01bluesnake

Established Member
Here's a comparison with minutes apart on a 4th vs 5th. My car has 3.31's and we did the rest in 4th because the car got around 175mph on the dyno in 5th.

5thvs4thpull_zpsec13810a.png

twistedneck

Established Member
that's very interesting.. 5th has more torque, and more hp to 6000 rpm but falls off on peak HP after that 4th gear makes better numbers. does that make sense? the change is almost 10 ft-lbs.. and 6 hp so that's more than just normal variation.

IGO 202

Established Member
Thanks Bluesnake for taking the time to post that, sure puzzles me though.....

Gradyh,
Yep, I'm on the ETR board as oldkawboy.
Got smart and moved to Florida huh????

Dan

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
Thanks Bluesnake for taking the time to post that, sure puzzles me though.....

Gradyh,
Yep, I'm on the ETR board as oldkawboy.
Got smart and moved to Florida huh????

Dan

Lol I thought that was you from your avatar. I am GCooper9 on there. been on there for darn near 9 years. I joined the Air Force and am stationed here at Eglin AFB.

Could not ask for more!

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ya, not a problem. Since 5th is a longer/slower gear HP will come down some as the dyno acceleration is longer although may pick up torque better. 4th being shorter/quicker the dyno will pick up a little more hp but may loose torque. This is also listed in sae which to me is more of a truthful reading than standard although a lot of dyno guys like to use standard to inflate a higher number for bragging rights. On standard my car made like 412whp with just a cat delete and mild tune which is what the car is suppose to make crank. In sae it was about 401whp sae which seems a little more reasonable for the mods. Those were with a stock manifold for reference as I lost power with the ported and how the car currently sits.

IGO 202

Established Member
photo4_zps0ef01f89.jpg

Bone stock except 275 rears instead of the stock 245's. Almost 1,200 miles on car.

4th gear pulls made 362hp & 344tq SAE.

Let the mods begin!!!!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread