Dyno runs - Borla Stinger cat-back

j card

Established Member
Hi guys,

I was doing some dyno work with Borla at their facility and we did a before and after test of the Stinger exhaust on my Cobra - which should be used as a magazine article in the future. All I can say is WOW! The car is stock other than a KB CAI.

I used the Autotap to make sure the engine conditions were consistent from run to run.

Engine coolant temp was 203 deg at the start of each run
Air intake temp 1 was 78 deg for each run
Air intake temp 2 was 126 - 128 deg at the start of each run. (after the intercooler)

All runs were SAE corrected. There was no additional correction factor added - this is true power at the axle - tested on a Dynapack Model 3000 with a sweep time of 12 seconds. The car was usually consistent within about 1 hp from run to run.

The battery was disconnected to reset the computer, and then follwed the same warm-up procedure to help it re-learn.

Overall, the car went from about 388-389HP to a best of 435HP (!) - and made 3 runs in a row that were all right there. If I hadn't run the test myself, I probably wouldn't have believed it.

I don't guarantee that everyone will see the same results I did, but it sure made a huge difference on my car.

John

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
Originally posted by 03SLOBRA
Very impressive! Guess the stock catback is really corking the power.

You aint kidding! That's almost a 50hp pickup from an exhaust swap. I wonder whan an offroad X would do?

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Call me the skeptic, but I didn't see that much rwhp SAE when I dyno'd my car with all my mods before I got the chip and pulley. I find it very hard to belive 50rwhp gain from a catback alone. Also resetting the computer between dyno runs is a big no-no. I did it once during back to back runs and netted 15rwhp with no changes, it definitely squews the results.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice numbers, but I just don't believe the 47 rwhp gain over the stock system. All previous reports were around 20-25, which should be right. I find it hard to believe that Gumball got a 22 rwhp gain and Borla is now claiming a 47 rwhp gain on their dyno. I'd put a bit more faith in the dyno report if it wasn't Borla's dyno. They obviously have a stake in how the well the magazine article showcases their new exhaust. This is not a flame in any way. I'm only saying I've never heard of ANY catback gaining 47 rwhp over the stock system. :rollseyes

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I recently installed the Borla "Stinger" on my modded 03 and went from a O/R 3" H-pipe and 3" catback with Flows to the stinger and was able to feel a big TQ gain from SOTP. Dyno planned soon to determine if any HP gains. I also went with a O/R X-pipe with the stingers, Loudest car I've heard to date. Frigging NASCAR LOUD. LOL.

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Nice numbers, but I just don't believe the 47 rwhp gain over the stock system. All previous reports were around 20-25, which should be right. I find it hard to believe that Gumball got a 22 rwhp gain and Borla is now claiming a 47 rwhp gain on their dyno. I'd put a bit more faith in the dyno report if it wasn't Borla's dyno. They obviously have a stake in how the well the magazine article showcases their new exhaust. This is not a flame in any way. I'm only saying I've never heard of ANY catback gaining 47 rwhp over the stock system. :rollseyes

It wasn't Borla's dyno - it was my dyno, and I did the test. I know what you mean - It is hard to believe, but the test is legit. I did the test, and Borla really didn't have any impact on the results other than supplying the exhaust. They were as surprised as I was. Again, your mileage may vary. Maybe my stock exhaust was worse than normal.

John

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by Lethalchem
How does it sound?:)

Loud - but it calms down in 6th on the freeway - which is the main thing I was worried about. At 70MPH in 6th with the cruise set, you just slightly hear it - before, the exhaust was silent.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by j card
It wasn't Borla's dyno - it was my dyno, and I did the test. I know what you mean - It is hard to believe, but the test is legit. I did the test, and Borla really didn't have any impact on the results other than supplying the exhaust. They were as surprised as I was. Again, your mileage may vary. Maybe my stock exhaust was worse than normal.

John
I misunderstood about the dyno being Borla's. In your post you had said, "I was doing some dyno work with Borla at their facility" so I assumed it was Borla's dyno. The stock exhaust is "normal" because your baseline is about right, so that is not being disputed. But no way is the Stinger going to net an increase of 47 rwhp. Ain't gonna happen. :rollseyes

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Got Incon?
How much is this exhaust
Call Rick or Lynn at Amazon Racing. They will give you all the info you want.
(410)404-1413

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
wow, thats alot. But I like the fact that A, it makes good power, and B, it is loud.

Has anyone compared these with dynomax's race magnums which is the best muffler I ever found for my turbo car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Got Incon?
Has anyone compared these with dynomax's race magnums which is the best muffler I ever found for my turbo car.
Not I, but from everything I've heard and read to date the Stinger is the best power producer on the market right now.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
I don't know how it can be any better than dynomax's, by the fact a gf can put her fist straight through the muffler, so it is really like a straight pipe. What do the stinger exhaust muffs look like. (lol, I said....)

Orange Poison

Established Member
The stinger tips looks great....but what I'm finding out from some people there are times they sound like Magnaflows.....not my kinda sound and loud to boot

Users who are viewing this thread