e 85

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
E85 gives you absolutely no benefit whatsoever and is harder on the environment than the tree huggers let on.

badhabit1

Established Member
E85 does have an added benefit! It has much higher octane rating, approacing 100 if I'm not mistaken. The OP asked what it takes to run e85 on a terminator, not for some useless response that is actually incorrect.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
having a higher octane rating is only a benefit if said benefit outweighs the cost. E85 is a sham and a joke perpetrated by the tree huggers who worship al "the whore" gore and the government that will not back down even though their statements about it have been proven false.

Running E85 provides NOTHING since the cost of making it and running it outweigh the few points of octane it provides.

Personally I think someone having to ask what it takes to run it has not done their research and my pointing out what I did will hopefully get the OP to take a deeper look.

To use your logic The OP asked what it takes to run e85 on a terminator, not for some useless comment on my post.

E85 does have an added benefit! It has much higher octane rating, approacing 100 if I'm not mistaken. The OP asked what it takes to run e85 on a terminator, not for some useless response that is actually incorrect.

Mystic03

Established Member
not sure what it would take i assume nothing since e85 is just 110octane unleaded but most certainly burns more fuel to make the power gas makes

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
not sure what it would take i assume nothing since e85 is just 110octane unleaded but most certainly burns more fuel to make the power gas makes

There is an E85 conversion kit that is required. However, since I checked into the value of e85 I decided not to get it and thus have no info on the kit or where to get it.

Mystic03

Established Member
There is an E85 conversion kit that is required. However, since I checked into the value of e85 I decided not to get it and thus have no info on the kit or where to get it.

yeah would definetly be expensive to acheive nothing if not very little but OP why not run racing fuel some i think at the pumps are unleaded and lead wont hurt you only if you have cats :shrug:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
a friend of mine has tuned a TON of cars down from Wichita Kansas that run on e85. Most have return style systems with BIG pumps, lines, and injectors. They run it as a cheaper substitute to race fuel on the street. Main thing in tuning is making sure you add the huge increase in fuel that is needed. My buddy has a pile of tunes made up on a wide variety of mustangs and cobra's.

Mystic03

Established Member
a friend of mine has tuned a TON of cars down from Wichita Kansas that run on e85. Most have return style systems with BIG pumps, lines, and injectors. They run it as a cheaper substitute to race fuel on the street. Main thing in tuning is making sure you add the huge increase in fuel that is needed. My buddy has a pile of tunes made up on a wide variety of mustangs and cobra's.

sounds about right in a nutshell e85 is 110 unleaded cheap price but takes ALOT of it to make the same power as gas/racegas can produce

forcefedcobra

Established Member
sounds about right in a nutshell e85 is 110 unleaded cheap price but takes ALOT of it to make the same power as gas/racegas can produce

yep. last time I was up I 35 into kansas every single station on the interstate sold e85 (nobody in my town in oklahoma sells it)........it was slightly cheaper than regular unleaded. Even if it took twice as much e85 vs. race gas ($7.50+ per gallon) you'll come out ahead. It's not a bad choice if you want to turn up the timing on the street.

tnkucan

tnkucan
Established Member
having a higher octane rating is only a benefit if said benefit outweighs the cost. E85 is a sham and a joke perpetrated by the tree huggers who worship al "the whore" gore and the government that will not back down even though their statements about it have been proven false.

Running E85 provides NOTHING since the cost of making it and running it outweigh the few points of octane it provides.

Personally I think someone having to ask what it takes to run it has not done their research and my pointing out what I did will hopefully get the OP to take a deeper look.

To use your logic The OP asked what it takes to run e85 on a terminator, not for some useless comment on my post.
eat sh**t rdj always has to be a smart ass talk with youre car ill smoke you any day

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
e85 is anywhere between 100-105 octane depending on the blend. Winter blend is e70 to help combat cold start issues.

With that said, e85 has lots of benefits. It allows you to run more timing which = mo powa. You can do this because of octane rating and because the fuel burns slower/cooler, the combustion temps are lower and detonation is suppressed. It's like having an endless supply of methanol being injected 100% of the time. This is very beneficial to F/I cars. N/A cars would benefit but not as much unless you're running some crazy compression.

The downside is it takes approx. 40% more fuel at WOT and 20% at cruising speeds to equal the energy output of 93 pump. This will cause a small drop in mpg but the money saved vs. 93 oct is usually a wash. As fuel gets more expensive though, the cost difference % usually stays the same and at some point, it does become more expensive to run e85 (couple bucks a tank though, not much unless gas shoots to $10/gal).

You also need a beefy fuel system. Take your approx. flywheel hp, multiply it by 1.4 and that's what HP level you need to build your fuel system to based on pump gas levels. For example, a car making 600 @ the flywheel would need a fuel system to run a 850hp pump gas motor.

There are a couple of guys on here running e85 and having very good results with it. I'm sure they'll chime in. My experience as of now is running 25% mixed with 93 pump back when I had my stock Mach block w/ 10:1 compression and the Eaton. It helped end my detonation problems in the summer. When I get my new motor back together, I'll be running 100%.

CAT600

Clutchless T56 is GO!
Established Member
E85 gives you absolutely no benefit whatsoever.....

That's a joke.

E85 is awesome fuel even if it costs twice as much as pump fuel. No added benefit?.... we saw 40rwhp at 20psi and 70rwhp at 25psi over your 93 octane pump equivalent when we switched to E85. In fact it made more power than straight 106 Sunoco at 1/3rd the cost

I'd call that a decent benefit.

Daniel

650cobra

Established Member
What is needed to run e 85 in our cars and would it be hard to tune

Fore precision works, Fuel hat,Rails,Y-blocks e-series coatings . I went with the triple pump hat, and stayed returnless. 3 ford gt pumps, a triple -6 to -10 Y-block,and then a -10 to dual -8 into the rails. Ford racings new 80lb fuel injectors. The car has crower stage 3s,whipple,on 22 lbs making 674 rwhp with E-85. The car was tuned on a dynojet dyno. I didn't keep track of the prices,it was expensive. However I am very happy with the results.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
That's a joke.

E85 is awesome fuel even if it costs twice as much as pump fuel. No added benefit?.... we saw 40rwhp at 20psi and 70rwhp at 25psi over your 93 octane pump equivalent when we switched to E85. In fact it made more power than straight 106 Sunoco at 1/3rd the cost

I'd call that a decent benefit.

Daniel

once someone has weighed the cost vs. the benefits vs. their use for the car they may make the decision that for THEM personally they reap benefits. I put my priorities elsewhere. As I said earlier when one weighs the costs vs. the benefits there is little reason to run it.

glad you're happy with your choice. I am sure the op will be as well.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
e85 is cheap race gas! average octane rating as said above between 100 and 105! and e85 loves forced induction turbo/supercharged applications!

however your car is set up now..... to use e85 you will need a completely new fuel system. beacuse you will need so much more fuel to make same hp level.

i would only assume if you were serious about this you should go return fuel system. so you would need new everything including tank.

expensive to start but after that it is like i said... cheap race gas!

only down fall even after you have a new set up is, that the octane rating is not regulated as "normal" gas is... meaning one gas station that has e85 might have an octane rating of 100... and the next time you fill up it might be 106. so from a tune aspect it is hard to make a tune seeing the octane rating may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread