e36 M3 as a DD

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Looking to get an E36 M3 as a DD, and yes I'm going with AUTO!
A manual will be for the weekend car.

Would you guys recommend this car, or is the maintenance going to kill me?

Something decent on gas, just want a nice looking daily driver, auto, rare, something for the parents to drive when they're in town, budget is 8k.

Would be nice to get one this color:
attachment.php

paintless302

Established Member
The e36s M3s you're going to get for 8k are going to eat you alive in maintenance. Either up the budget to find a meticulously cared for example or look elsewhere. I'd creep around bimmerpost or the likes on the E36 section.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i looked at an Audi TT as a DD. yeah til i realized maint. costs. good luck OP!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Might just settle for a G20, awesome cars no problems whatsoever. I had the p10 ('91) and p11 ('01), both manual. This time I'll get an auto.
Saves me from having to fork over 8k, gonna look for a decent one for 5k.

NinjaBum

Established Member
There aren't going to be any clean cars for that cash. You're either looking to spend in the 20's for clean examples that niche BMW dealers snapped up or buy some poor ragged out shell of a car that some teenager has done in.

'Tis the cycle of M3s. The E46's are entering this cycle now and eventually so will the E90s.

Gravik

Established Member
They're fun cars. If you can afford the maintenance, then go for it.

Gravik

Established Member
There aren't going to be any clean cars for that cash. You're either looking to spend in the 20's for clean examples that niche BMW dealers snapped up or buy some poor ragged out shell of a car that some teenager has done in.

'Tis the cycle of M3s. The E46's are entering this cycle now and eventually so will the E90s.

20k for an E36 M3? I don't know what planet you're living on...

Here's a good example. $9k.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru...-Coupe-Avus-Blue-w-Dove-Gray-(BMW-Individual)

Last edited:

NinjaBum

Established Member
The planet of not looking at almost 200k mile M3s...

You obviously don't know the market very well. You are NOT going to find an E36 M3 with low miles for very much under 20k. Not going to happen unless the person selling it is tarded.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The post was for a DD, I'm not willing to spend 20k on a car thats almost 20 years old. lol
8k from what I've seen will get a high mileage m3, some are in good shape and others not so bad. Obviously the lower the price the shittier.
Right now an Infiniti G20 is the car I have my eyes on, perfect car for the mom to drive, reliable, good mpg.

Zemedici

Established Member
My good buddy has one, reeeeeally low on coilovers, black with white wheels. I'll snag you a picture, he loves it. absolutely loves it.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
The E36 M3 that we got was a watered down version compared to the euro spec car. 20 grand for a clean E46? Okay, 20 grand for a clean E36? no thank you. The e36 M3 is the only car that is consistently priced in the 4 digit range and they are usually owned by high school kids.

I'm sure a G20 will be a lot more reliable and cheaper to.

NinjaBum

Established Member
Watered down but still fun to own. There just isn't any way to get on that boat without either spending more money than you should or getting a crappy car. Mid-2000s was the time to try and track one down. Same thing for M-Coupes and anything else cool BMW made in the mid-late 90's to early 2000s.

NinjaBum

Established Member
Also automatic e36's are dogs anyway. Rolling around in a stick shift E36 racing one with an auto you'd think it was a rebadged 318 for all it would keep up.

NinjaBum

Established Member
Exactomundo.

As soon as they started hitting mid teens any teen whose parents had a 500 credit score started nabbing them to abuse and make me shed a tear like that Indian guy in that old commercial.

Users who are viewing this thread