E85 Questions. Yes, I did a search before anyone gets their panties in a bunch.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I have a 2013 Shelby GT500, mods in my signature.

I've seen a lot of videos on people running E85 or "corn" in their Shelbys, what are the pros and cons of doing so?

I know you have to have an E85 tune, but is it a complicated or difficult process to switch to E85?

Thanks!

fearthesnake

Established Member
I don't see your sig on my mobile device. Assume you have bigger injectors and BAPs at minimum.

I loved E-85 on my 13. Had all the bolt ons and LTH with Off Road H pipe.

It's safe and recommend it if you have access to quality fuel. I did and was convenient. Besides the obvious increase in hp/tq the biggest thing I enjoyed was the clean burn and very little fumes. Nothing like 93 where your clothes and inside the car smelled like gas fumes.

Highly recommend and I'll let the experts chime in on the benefits.

Also, if you drive the car regularly it's no issue. Just don't let it sit for months on end without running.

robvas

Established Member
Make sure you figure out how much of a fuel system upgrade you will need

Injectors
Pump(s)

Tune

It adds up quick

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
do it.gif

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
I don't see your sig on my mobile device. Assume you have bigger injectors and BAPs at minimum.

I loved E-85 on my 13. Had all the bolt ons and LTH with Off Road H pipe.

It's safe and recommend it if you have access to quality fuel. I did and was convenient. Besides the obvious increase in hp/tq the biggest thing I enjoyed was the clean burn and very little fumes. Nothing like 93 where your clothes and inside the car smelled like gas fumes.

Highly recommend and I'll let the experts chime in on the benefits.

Also, if you drive the car regularly it's no issue. Just don't let it sit for months on end without running.
No on the bigger injectors and BAPs.

Sounds like I would need to upgrade my fuel system.

Thanks!

Bad Company

Established Member
E85 has a higher octane rating, plus the alcohol has a cooling effect. Ethanol evaporates at 172*F if I remember correctly. The octane rating for 100% ethanol is around 106 if I'm remembering correctly. The downside is if you live in cold climate. The government allows the producers of pump E85 you buy at the local station to be as low as E51. 51% ethanol. This is why the minimum octane rating is much lower than what true 85% ethanol would test at. Why do they allow E85 to be as low as E51? In the winter months it becomes harder to start a cold car engine on a high ethanol percentage because of the much lower evaporation temperature of the ethanol. The raise the gasoline. The ethanol being sprayed by the injectors into an engine that is sitting outside on a cold 10*F day tries to puddle instead of being an atomized and fume mixture. The engine tries to flood

Pump E85 has less energy per gallon by 35% and usually a minimum octane rating of 95, but is usually higher than this as the percentage of the ethanol rises. So to maintain the Hp you need inject 35% more fuel by volume. This requires bigger injectors and fuel pumps. I'm not sure I'd try the BAP systems for the pumps. With the cooling effects and higher octane ratings of E85 you can advance ignition timing for more Hp.

The fuel also wants to absorb moisture out of the air, so you have to drive the car to keep the fuel fresh and you need to install a high quality fuel filter and check it or replace it regularly.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
E85 has a higher octane rating, plus the alcohol has a cooling effect. Ethanol evaporates at 172*F if I remember correctly. The octane rating for 100% ethanol is around 106 if I'm remembering correctly. The downside is if you live in cold climate. The government allows the producers of pump E85 you buy at the local station to be as low as E51. 51% ethanol. This is why the minimum octane rating is much lower than what true 85% ethanol would test at. Why do they allow E85 to be as low as E51? In the winter months it becomes harder to start a cold car engine on a high ethanol percentage because of the much lower evaporation temperature of the ethanol. The raise the gasoline. The ethanol being sprayed by the injectors into an engine that is sitting outside on a cold 10*F day tries to puddle instead of being an atomized and fume mixture. The engine tries to flood

Pump E85 has less energy per gallon by 35% and usually a minimum octane rating of 95, but is usually higher than this as the percentage of the ethanol rises. So to maintain the Hp you need inject 35% more fuel by volume. This requires bigger injectors and fuel pumps. I'm not sure I'd try the BAP systems for the pumps. With the cooling effects and higher octane ratings of E85 you can advance ignition timing for more Hp.

The fuel also wants to absorb moisture out of the air, so you have to drive the car to keep the fuel fresh and you need to install a high quality fuel filter and check it or replace it regularly.
Great information.

Thanks!

Bad Company

Established Member
I made a mistake in my earlier post. E85 that is a race fuel version has an octane of roughly 105-106. E98 race fuel has an octane rating of 111.5 for VP Racing X98. Pump E 85 usually has a minimum octane rating of of 95.

Users who are viewing this thread