Early SHO engine running around town in a Mustang.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Guy out here has a '89 coupe that he claims (we know the same guy at work) has one of the early Yamaha engines in it, though I haven't been able to catch up with him to check it out and take some pics. I have heard him rocketing by my house, and it definitely sounded like he was winding it up pretty high.

Anyone heard of this? Is it a huge PITA to use that engine in a RWD application like that? Not sure what you guys would think about this. Cool or not.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
That was waaaay faster than I expected in this forum, haha.

I'm working on it. I don't know the guy, just that he visits his grandfather over here in my town.

gomach1

5.0hh
Established Member
Yeah pics would be good, but its now a bad idea.
Heres what i saw one guy did for a street rod, good fast and reliable power plant
dsc00256wk9.jpg

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I'll try and get pics, I've been trying to catch up with him for a couple weeks just because I think it's interesting anyway. I finally just got tired of wondering and wanted to post on here to see what y'all thought about it. I'm all about unique swaps.

How heavy is that engine compared to a 5.0, though? Are there any crazy difficulties in swapping into a RWD car with a manual tranny?

nik96

Established Member
gomach1 said:
Yeah pics would be good, but its now a bad idea.
Heres what i saw one guy did for a street rod, good fast and reliable power plant
dsc00256wk9.jpg

That's cool but I think I would have used a different air cleaner... and alternator.

It would not be hard to set a SHO V6 in a mustang(of similar era). In conjunction with an Aerostar bellhousing, an adapter can be used to bolt a T5 to it. You might have to get a little crafty with the K member/ oil pan and wiring.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
You can use a T5 (out of an Aerostar IIRC) to do a RWD swap into other cars....there are bunch of 'weird' cars out there with SHO power (Cobra Kit Car, Lotus, etc)

Shoman594

Established Member
Cool! Hey when you get some pictures check if you can see the KOC number on the side of the head. That would help to see if this was a preproduction engine or not. :)

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I'll be sure to look for the KOC numbers and get pics if I can.

I was curious enough to go do some reading over on SHOforums... Read the thread about the guy putting a SHO engine in his '66 Mustang coupe and saw a few other threads saying the Aerostar bellhousing is used for RWD swaps.

Now I gotta stop looking at those beautiful engines, I've already went over to look at Craigslist and see what deals I could find, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread