Earthquake

RussZTT

Established Member
Thats got to be a strange feeling. I'm in Florida and never experienced one.

G04cobra

Established Member
im right down the street from hawthorne, it felt stronger than the 5.0 they reported

Dusten

Established Member
haha, im quite a ways off and felt it. i was sitting in bed with my laptop and i thought the dog was shaking my bed. i yelled at her... she was outside. Weird

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
I am in Buena park and we felt it but it wasn't too bad. My wife's parents are in Inglewood and they said a few stuff fell down. I felt it coming though. I don't freak out too much, to be honest I really want to feel a 6.5 or so. LIke my wife says I am retarded. :)

68gtscode

Established Member
Here's a little science fun fact relating to earth quakes for you guys and gals- How much stronger is a quake that is one point higher on the richter scale (5 verus 4, or 6 versus 5, etc)???

ANSWER- the Richter Scale is a logarithmic scale measuring wave amplitude. Converting this to engergy, one numerical point on the scale equates to approximately 31 times more engery! So, a 6 has roughly 31 times more engery than a 5! Most people don't know this... some sharp folks might know the Richter Scales is logarithmic, and guess 10 but this is incorrect. I guess I did learn something in my Geology program in college?!

Matt

68gtscode

Established Member
68gtscode,

Hey Matt, how have you been? Is your COBRA up & running like you want it to be yet... ?

Hi Kevin, good to hear from you! Thanks for asking about my Cobra- YES it's running like I want it now... I just got it back from AED! They did a full make over (CCWs, Whipple, fuel system, suspension, etc, etc, etc)! Your old Bassani X is on there now, and it's sounds great! I'll be posting some pics in a day or two once I get my buddy to dust off his SLR. Hope all is good on your end... let me know if you want to check out the Cobra! Mine doesn't have anything on yours though- that's one clean Terminator you have!

Matt

03DOHC

Established Member
I am in Buena park and we felt it but it wasn't too bad. My wife's parents are in Inglewood and they said a few stuff fell down. I felt it coming though. I don't freak out too much, to be honest I really want to feel a 6.5 or so. LIke my wife says I am retarded. :)
I'd have to agree with your wife, LOL. I was in a 6.2 or something in LA and it brought down overhead freeways and threw me straight up in the air out of bed. My buddy lived in reseda during the northridge quake and it messed up his house.

Low 5s are a fun ride but 6+ is nothing to laugh at or look forward to.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Given the raw number of side faults in the LA area, a quake like this has almost zero predictive value regarding an inevitable coming "big one" that sooner or later must hit LA. :eek:

Its far better to relieve the stress build up in rocks at the plate boundary with a long series of very small quakes, than wait for one big one where 20 -30 feet of stored up energy is stress slip released in a matter of seconds.

Greg@RET

Established Member
Shook hard in Downey. I own a two story and thought it was coming down :whine:

Users who are viewing this thread