Easy math riddle... Or is it?

Intervention302

Established Member
Roofie the thief, harvest their organs and sell them on the black market.....profit.

That is how you turn a frown upside down.
Usually don't press charges the few times I've caught thief's on camera.

Usually putting them to shame on social media is good enough.

Last time some lady stole 2 small items from my freezer we had posted to our business FB page asking if anybody knew her. City FB page shared it. Over 100k views in 2 days. Her PO ended up watching it. She had just gotten out of jail for theft.

Her PO violated her parole for me

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I think my answer of $130 is the right answer. The $100 belongs to you and is back in the till, so technically you should be receiving another $30 from this guy to pay for his ice cream but you never get that. So you dont get the $30, you give him $70 from the till, and he got $30 in food for free... $130 lost.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm going to say 100 bucks, because that is what was in the register to begin with.
So, when counting out at the end of the day/shift, it's still down 100 bucks. I think?? lol

quad

Established Member
I think my answer of $130 is the right answer. The $100 belongs to you and is back in the till, so technically you should be receiving another $30 from this guy to pay for his ice cream but you never get that. So you dont get the $30, you give him $70 from the till, and he got $30 in food for free... $130 lost.
No that is not correct.

1. Thief steals $100 from the DQ register. Loss @ register: $100
2. Thief orders $30 in product from DQ menu and pays with $100 bill stolen. Loss @ register: $0
3. Thief is given back $70 in change ($100 - $30 = $70). Loss @ register: $70
4. DQ employees makes $30 product for $25.80 leaving $4.20 profit
5. DQ employee @ register gives thief product. Loss @ register: $70 + $25.80 in product = $95.80

So total loss to business is around $95 - $96 if a thief steals $100 from a DQ register.

Calculation above based on an assumed 6% profit margin on sales after everything (employee salaries, electricity, rent, taxes, franchise fee, products purchased, etc.) is paid. Could be higher though.

Not sure what the profit margins are for Dairy Queen however it looks like a McDonald's franchise could yield a profit of +/- 6% on Net Sales.

Why Dairy Queen Franchises Lead To Riches | The Conservative Income Investor
Owning a McDonald’s Franchise: Purchase Cost vs. Annual Profit

Last edited:

quad

Established Member
Why fixate on the obvious $100? This chap is multi DQ. He bathes in Benjamins. His ass is wiped with C-notes. A hundred bucks is meaningless to him. The human cost is what matters here.

The truth is that it depends on which customer stole the cash. He has a world class surveillance system. So he finds out that:

1) A filthy homeless girl has taken the bill. He confronts her, gives her a job and lifts her out of the gutter. Like Pygmalion or Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. She cleans up well, saves his business and his Dad's life with a defibrillator. They marry and are happy ever after.

2) A POS swipes the cash. Buys a throw away .38 for $70 and comes back to buy $30 bucks worth of burgers. On his way out he robs the DQ, shoots the dad dead and spends the money on meth.

You can't put a figure on love. Nor can you value the cost of loss or outrage. The actual answer lies somewhere between infinitely rewarding and all consumingly tragic.
lol!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
No that is not correct.

2. Thief orders $30 in product from DQ menu and pays with $100 bill stolen. Loss @ register: $0
5. DQ employee @ register gives thief product. Loss @ register: $70 + $25.80 in product = $95.80

So total loss to business is around $95 - $96 if a thief steals $100 from a DQ register.

Calculation above based on an assumed 6% profit margin on sales after everything (employee salaries, electricity, rent, taxes, products purchased, etc.) is paid. Could be higher though.

Not sure what the profit margins are for Dairy Queen however it looks like a McDonald's franchise could yield a profit of +/- 6% on Net Sales.

Pretty sure we aren't calculating details like profit margin and cost to employ per hour. It appears to be a simple answer but there are two answers depending on how you look at it.

Look at it this way:
-the guy steals $100 so he now owes you $100.
-Then he orders $30 in food so he now owes you $130 total.
-He gives you the $100 back so still owes you $30 for the food.
-You give him $70 back and the $30 in food which has not been paid for.
-So he took $70 in change that wasn't his, $30 in food that he didn't pay for, and then still has the $30 he owed for the food.
-The store is out $130 or $100 if you say the $30 not collected from the thief represents the food. I say all three are separate and you account for the change, the food lost, and the payment not received.

Intervention302

Established Member
No that is not correct.

Calculation above based on an assumed 6% profit margin on sales after everything (employee salaries, electricity, rent, taxes, franchise fee, products purchased, etc.) is paid. Could be higher though.

Our profit margin is more than double that :)

Intervention302

Established Member
The cash register doesn't know/care that the bill is stolen.

It's a completely separate transaction from the theft

At end of the night, the cash register is $100 short. Technically I "make" a few bucks on the sale of the $30.

The real answer in my book is -$100.

If you wanted to get nitty gritty and say I made a few bucks on the sale, then you would be short maybe 85-90 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread