Easy math riddle... Or is it?

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
The cash register doesn't know/care that the bill is stolen.

It's a completely separate transaction from the theft

At end of the night, the cash register is $100 short. Technically I "make" a few bucks on the sale of the $30.

The real answer in my book is -$100.

If you wanted to get nitty gritty and say I made a few bucks on the sale, then you would be short maybe 85-90 bucks.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Exactly. People are way overthinking this. The sale has nothing to do with the theft. If any person came in after the theft it would just be a another sale. Margins and all that crap don't matter.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Depends on how much the $30 item cost the store. If it was $30 then your out $100.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

FJohnny

Established Member
Ha ha. What if the items bought for $30 were an on sale that day loss leader just to get people into the store and they actually cost $40. Then it's even worse.

He's out $110 from a hundy stolen. What a ripoff! Should have just given him the hundred bucks and begged him to stay out of the store.

quad

Established Member
Pretty sure we aren't calculating details like profit margin and cost to employ per hour. It appears to be a simple answer but there are two answers depending on how you look at it.

Look at it this way:
-the guy steals $100 so he now owes you $100.
-Then he orders $30 in food so he now owes you $130 total.
-He gives you the $100 back so still owes you $30 for the food.
-You give him $70 back and the $30 in food which has not been paid for.
-So he took $70 in change that wasn't his, $30 in food that he didn't pay for, and then still has the $30 he owed for the food.
-The store is out $130 or $100 if you say the $30 not collected from the thief represents the food. I say all three are separate and you account for the change, the food lost, and the payment not received.
No at the end he got back $70 in change and the food that he ordered. That is what he is walking away with. The $70 in change and the food. The food cost the establishment maybe $25 to make after paying salaries, franchise fees, electricity, supplies etc. So the business is out $95 give or take a few.

Edit:

I just saw Intervention's comment that they are more profitable. So the store is out about $85-$90. And he agrees his loss is less than $100.

Intervention302

Established Member
That's good to know! I read that Dairy Queens in rural areas do really well. Is this correct?
Depends how much heart and soul you put into it. They can run really well, or crap!

My dad's been in business with dq for 45 years now

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
Face Value: $100

Bean-Counter: $70 + ($30 - Profit Margin) + Lost Opportunity Cost
Profit Margin = Material Markup + Labor Markup
Lost Opportunity Cost = Time invested in $30 product vs potential other profit-generating customers, figure another $30.

Users who are viewing this thread