EATON SEIZED!!!!

Brad

Banned
Sup pete this is brad, we've talked on the phone. So what are you doing? Sticking with the eaton? Or going KB or ATI?

Last edited:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
Since I've not seen the damaged blower, the following comment might be off, but....do you think your failure was due to excessive loading of the front bearing from running an excessively tight belt????

Several posts I've read on this forum mentioned that guys were struggling to get tighter and tighter belts on their Eatons to combat belt slip. Unfortunately, that technique is a band-aid only and you might have seen the worst case of doing that.

I'm not trying to flame you in any way, just hoping you can save others from making a mistake.

Good point. But the most significant down force is not from a tight belt. The only constant force the belt has on the blower pulley comes from the tensioner. The real force comes from the belt pulling on the pulley under load. Think about it like this:

The more you over drive the blower, the more force it takes to spin it. That force comes from a belt which is pulling straight down on the blower pulley. (Or very close to it depending on pulley configuration). A 2.80 upper pulley plus a larger lower pulley is a lot of over drive. The front bearings were under alot of load and failed. I have seen the same problem at the other end too. Where upward force on the front of the crank can cause a variety of problems also.

I take it that this was an Apten modified Eaton? Not that it matters, just wondering.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by RGrossman
That would be a nice combo on an Autometer 20PSI guage. Would be nice to peg the sucker :)

I'm not attacking you just asking.. why is it cool to peg a boost gauge when that much boost from a Heaton is a lot of hot air. I think the guys that show improvements w/ that much boost are running extra intercooler tanks and ice and even then its for short periods. Other than that its a lot of hot air that is good for very short bursts after which you really should back off the loud pedal because your heating up the engine and IC coolant like mad.

Jerry

PETE03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Brad
Sup pete this is brad, we've talked on the phone. So what are you doing? Sticking with the eaton? Or going KB or ATI?
Hey Brad, I wanted to go with the ATI setup but they're not releasing the kit out anytime soon. Kenne Bell says you have to wait 2-3 weeks, so i decided to go with the Apten blower. Should be up and running by end of next week.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by PETE03SVT
Hey Brad, I wanted to go with the ATI setup but they're not releasing the kit out anytime soon. Kenne Bell says you have to wait 2-3 weeks, so i decided to go with the Apten blower. Should be up and running by end of next week.

Oh got ya. We'll have to meet up soon.

Steel City

Banned
Sorry to hear about that. Personally I think thats too much boost for the eaton and its being really overspun. I hope not but I think over the next year there are going to be a lot of eatons breaking down. I think the 2.93 is our best bet but who knows????? I guess we will see...

Users who are viewing this thread