Eaton Swap or Engine Swap?

RayG707

Established Member
Sorry if this has been covered already, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have a 2001 Cobra that I obviously want to supercharge. Now I know about eaton swapping and I know there is a guy on here that can sell kits for like $3000 which is cool, but I don't know if I should eaton/T56 swap or just get the full Terminator drivetrain. I kind of want to just modify what I have (forged internals etc.) because I have a teksid block and so I can keep my car somewhat original. I know with the transmission I will probably need a new housing and driveshaft so that is another expense to consider. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regulars520

Established Member
Save your money. I picked up a nice Vortech V1 set-up used with everything minus injectors, maf, and pump for 1200. Sandblasted it and painted it and rebearinged it. Bought injectors and maf for 200, 340lph pump for 100. I was done and driving at that point, but I shop craigslist and here daily, I came across a 17k Terminator shortblock. Talked him down from 3000 to 1700 cash, dropped 200 on a gasket set and new oil, etc... and dropped it in. Bought a msd boost a pump and boost a spark for a combined total of 200 and bought jegs coils for 80. So for roughly $3680 I have a forged bottom with a rebuilt v1 and all the goodies to go with it. Beats the hell out of just having a eaton for $3000 plus misc parts, fluids, etc... Shop around and get the best bang for your buck. Used is still good.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Just an FYI. Having a teskid block really doesn't mean anything other than to fan boys. You do have an aluminum block though and the idea of keeping 80# off the front end of an already front end heavy car is worth it to me.

If you get a deal as the above poster did then I would do the 03-04 motor swap. You could never get a forged lower end for that money. Sometimes you find complete 03/04 motors complete from eaton to oil pan. That wouldn't be a bad idea either for you if you want an eaton. It may run you around $5000 though if not more. Some of them are ready to drop in and plug in. Just remember you need to do some engine harness modifications to run the eaton in an 01 cobra. It's nothing difficult and there are many photos online of what you need to do.

What are you goals for the car? That also helps the decision process. I have an eaton swap and I am very happy with it.

RayG707

Established Member
Thanks for all the input so far everyone. I live in the Bay Area. I haven't seen a Terminator engine for sale for less than $7000 and they are usually around $10,000 on ebay motors. All the ones I have seen come with the T56 as well so I guess it isn't that bad of a deal. Although, for that cost it seems like it would be about the same to buy the eaton swap kit and T56 and have the engine built. I would probably want to swap out the iron block in the Terminator engine if I went that route anyway.

RayG707

Established Member
Oops forgot to mention goals for the car. Basically I just want to make it real fast and handle real well. I have some bolt ons already, but the first major step in terms of speed is supercharging and building the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread