Eaton swap using Marauder parts

tvanlant

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone else is watching the thread on doing the eaton swap using custom brackets and the Marauder setup.

[ame=http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101911]My Eaton Swap Project Using Custom Brackets - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club[/ame]

tvanlant

Established Member
My question is:
What is all needed to do this setup on a '99 cobra since they have different timing covers & belt routing?

Also, what are the negatives of doing this instead of the 03 style eaton swap?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Negatives would be that the brackets and coolant crossover and custom made. If they break you can't just go to Ford and get what you need. They say in the thread its designed for single bolt tensioners if that make a difference. I did the 03 cobra way and not having to deal with the power steering is a good thing. The reservoir bracket is $300 list from Ford!!!

I think you would save some money in the end, but again the issue would be if something broke on the custom parts and you couldn't get them replaced. I did it the 03 cobra way and I have 0 complaints. If you have to swap timing covers you could just run an 01 cover. I bet they are still cheaper than the 03/04 ones.

tvanlant

Established Member
Thanks for the input.
Are there any other draw backs to this setup?

As for the brackets being custom-made... I work at a huge metal fabrication plant, so repairing/ making entirely new ones would not be a problem at all.

From the looks of it, this setup would not only save a bunch of money, but also looks like it requires less modification (no messing with PS, oil cooler, pulleys etc.)

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
This has me seriously contemplating doing the swap. I may be starting a new job here shortly so we shall see.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Thanks for the input.
Are there any other draw backs to this setup?

As for the brackets being custom-made... I work at a huge metal fabrication plant, so repairing/ making entirely new ones would not be a problem at all.

From the looks of it, this setup would not only save a bunch of money, but also looks like it requires less modification (no messing with PS, oil cooler, pulleys etc.)

The 03 swap isn't too bad to do at all. The worst for me was grinding down the knock sensor mounts to fit the intercooler in. The oil cooler is a simple swap to the 03 one, pulleys can be a bit of a pain to get. Power steering isn't too tough to figure out. Of course to not have to do any of that will save you a lot of time which you could spend on other areas of the swap.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

I found these pics on mercurymaurader.net

01 Venom

Established Member
I dont know if I would go that route, interesting though. 03 Parts are very available right now, I would stick to that, cheaper and perhaps easier/

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
^I don't see how it would be cheaper or easier to go 03 style. This system has less parts and less changing. As of now I'd say this system is superior is cost/time/effort.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
Pics in post #8 of this thread are located in link in post #7

Hodgepodge

Established Member
I would love to do this but it looks like they can't get in contact with the guy who makes the custom brackets.

Furinox

Established Member
My car is running perfect with this setup and I've even had a couple 03/04 cobra guys ask me about doing it because it makes for some additional room for turbo/compound setups. It's only going to work if you have the 1 bolt tensioner timing cover.

tvanlant

Established Member
My car is running perfect with this setup and I've even had a couple 03/04 cobra guys ask me about doing it because it makes for some additional room for turbo/compound setups. It's only going to work if you have the 1 bolt tensioner timing cover.

I have a 99 cobra, so I don't have the 1 bolt tensioner. However, this swap still seems easier/cheaper because I can pick up an 01 cobra/mach timing cover with pullies for much cheaper than the 03 cover. Plus the saving in other areas.

So are these brackets no longer being made? If I could get a set, I can have tons of these made for cheap. I work at a machine shop with a cnc plasma table, so these parts would be simple to reproduce. If the guy currently making them is going to continue making them, I'm not going to copy his design/invention though.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I'm glad that someone with the time and resources did this. People told me I was crazy when I proposed this about 3 years ago. And that was when 03 parts were alot harder to come by and more exspensive.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I'm seriously thinking about this swap too. tvanlant - if you get your hands on these brackets LMK!!

Furinox

Established Member
I have a 99 cobra, so I don't have the 1 bolt tensioner. However, this swap still seems easier/cheaper because I can pick up an 01 cobra/mach timing cover with pullies for much cheaper than the 03 cover. Plus the saving in other areas.

So are these brackets no longer being made? If I could get a set, I can have tons of these made for cheap. I work at a machine shop with a cnc plasma table, so these parts would be simple to reproduce. If the guy currently making them is going to continue making them, I'm not going to copy his design/invention though.

The guy I bought my brackets from has been out of town on a fishing trip and is back now. If you sent him an email you should be getting a reply shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread