Ecoboost education wanted - how turbo work etc

paynecasey

Established Member
Hello,

I'm currently awaiting the 2012 Ford Focus ST. I want to buy performance parts just like the next but I DO not want to stripe it of reliability AKA 500 hp rolling time bomb. I understand most cars from the factory run a bit rich. So here are my questions.

1. If I add an intake, exhaust to a turbo will these lean it out? Lean it to much?

2. If it does lean it to much, how to I counter that?

3. Are programmers safe? Like this Custom-Tuned Handheld Programmer | 2010 - 2011 Flex Ecoboost | Hennessey Performance

4. How does a programmer increase boost levels? The above programmer says from 11 lbs to 13.5. Is boost simply controlled by the computer Or is it a manual switch or pulley exchange?

5. Will performance parts push the engine towed detenonation? If so what all contours this?

6. If the ST does not have an intecooler, what will be the benefits of adding one? Cooler air to allow for more boost?

7. What exactly is boost pressure?

8. If I bought an ST my mods would be. Intake, programmer, intecooler, header, mid pipe, cat back. What kind of trouble will I run into?

Below is a note my friend sent me. Is he on par an turbo's suck? To get a back ground on my friend is a chevy guy. Ohv rear wheel drive only kind of guy. To him front wheel drive suck, OHC are heavy motors compared to LS motors.

"The thing about electronic tuners is they are a stand-alone 'bolt-on'. In general, they do things: advance the ignition curve, and lean the fuel map. This will add power and throttle response every time. Some have extra gadgets like check engine light clearance, or a display for vehicle sensor readings, but the ignition and fuel is about all most will change.
The problem is, especially with positive pressure engines at high rpm operation, is risk of detonation, spark knock, or overheating* pistons, all of which end in one spectacular result--boom. The real problem is when people make several bolt-on upgrades, such as exhaust or intake, increasing air flow. This alone naturally leans the air/fuel ratio, and the extra affect of the computer chip/tuner makes it worse. Guys actually sometimes lose track time when the combination just isn't compatible.
If you buy 5 parts that advertise 15 hp gains each, the end result isn't 75 hp. The best thing you can do is invest just a little more money and buy a laptop based software, like HP Tuners, and have the ability to change settings as you change the vehicle. The $300 for the plug-n-play stuff is a waste in the long-term, and may cause more problems if you just click power level three and floor it.
Or you could buy an old-school V8, a Holley double-pumper and Hooker headers, and call it a day."

afro

Why?
Established Member
Hello,

I'm currently awaiting the 2012 Ford Focus ST. I want to buy performance parts just like the next but I DO not want to stripe it of reliability AKA 500 hp rolling time bomb. I understand most cars from the factory run a bit rich. So here are my questions.

1. If I add an intake, exhaust to a turbo will these lean it out? Lean it to much?

2. If it does lean it to much, how to I counter that?

3. Are programmers safe? Like this Custom-Tuned Handheld Programmer | 2010 - 2011 Flex Ecoboost | Hennessey Performance

4. How does a programmer increase boost levels? The above programmer says from 11 lbs to 13.5. Is boost simply controlled by the computer Or is it a manual switch or pulley exchange?

5. Will performance parts push the engine towed detenonation? If so what all contours this?

6. If the ST does not have an intecooler, what will be the benefits of adding one? Cooler air to allow for more boost?

7. What exactly is boost pressure?

8. If I bought an ST my mods would be. Intake, programmer, intecooler, header, mid pipe, cat back. What kind of trouble will I run into?

Below is a note my friend sent me. Is he on par an turbo's suck? To get a back ground on my friend is a chevy guy. Ohv rear wheel drive only kind of guy. To him front wheel drive suck, OHC are heavy motors compared to LS motors.

"The thing about electronic tuners is they are a stand-alone 'bolt-on'. In general, they do things: advance the ignition curve, and lean the fuel map. This will add power and throttle response every time. Some have extra gadgets like check engine light clearance, or a display for vehicle sensor readings, but the ignition and fuel is about all most will change.
The problem is, especially with positive pressure engines at high rpm operation, is risk of detonation, spark knock, or overheating* pistons, all of which end in one spectacular result--boom. The real problem is when people make several bolt-on upgrades, such as exhaust or intake, increasing air flow. This alone naturally leans the air/fuel ratio, and the extra affect of the computer chip/tuner makes it worse. Guys actually sometimes lose track time when the combination just isn't compatible.
If you buy 5 parts that advertise 15 hp gains each, the end result isn't 75 hp. The best thing you can do is invest just a little more money and buy a laptop based software, like HP Tuners, and have the ability to change settings as you change the vehicle. The $300 for the plug-n-play stuff is a waste in the long-term, and may cause more problems if you just click power level three and floor it.
Or you could buy an old-school V8, a Holley double-pumper and Hooker headers, and call it a day."

1 - No, MAF should compensate
2 - Tuned out
3 - Unknown
4 - The car has an electronic boost controller which controls boost. A tune will simply increase the boost electronically through the ECU.
5 - Too much boost will run the turbo too hot which could cause detonation. Counter is E85 or 93 octane tunes and just running safe boost levels.
6 - It has one. A bigger one will cool down more.
7 - Boost pressure is the amount of air in PSI (pound per square inch) of air the turbo is moving. More pressure = more air and more power
8 - Shouldn't run into any issues. Find out what boost levels are safe. Bigger intercooler could cause a little more turbo lag and may also get in the way of cooling the radiator/condensor as it will block airflow as it sits in front of them.

-fro

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Thank you. This helped clear my questions.

Your friend is a moron.. A turbocharger is the most efficient means possible to increase power and efficiency of an engine... They take basically zero power to spin and create as much power as you want, while still keeping a small, fuel efficient and emissions friendly engine.

Users who are viewing this thread