Editing Gopro files

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Just got a Hero2 and i'm trying to do a little editing of the mp4 files it produces but I can't find any editing software for windows that supports mp4.

I'm using VLC to play the mp4 files, but movie maker doesn't support mp4, how are you guys with gopros editing your files?

Thanks

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I have the Hero 1 and I use Windows Live Movie Maker.

Stitched several together and made edits.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Ah, can't believe I didn't stumble across cineform studio on the gopro website!

So I used cineform studio to generate several time slices from the mp4 and converted to avi, then I used movie maker to combine the different avi files into 1 wmv.

I couldn't figure out a way to merge multiple avis into one video (with transitions) in cineform, is that possible or easier to do it the way I did?

Thanks again

alpinelightning

Established Member
I downloaded cineform and tried it it loads my clips easy and clean looks like this program is mainly for the 3d hero can you add music to your clips?
I have also noticed that you can now edit videos within youtube its a new feature I recently tried using Imovie on my wifes ipad its pretty easy to edit in this program

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Cineform is primarily a codec conversion tool. it'll do some rudimentary work if you're not doing any type of real editing.

The .avi files it creates are easier for your computer to handle than .mp4 or .mts files that are commonly produced by digital video cameras.

For non-linear editors, I definitely recommend Sony Vegas or Premier. Depending on what type of editing you do, you may prefer one of the other.

I will say the fact that Sony has a full functioning audio suite that has VST support is a real plus.

alpinelightning

Established Member
I have sony vegas movie studio hd platinum 10 I have used it a few times and the videos always look better after I upload them to youtube but while in the program it is very choppy and not a great picture if you have any advice maybe i need to change a setting or something.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I have sony vegas movie studio hd platinum 10 I have used it a few times and the videos always look better after I upload them to youtube but while in the program it is very choppy and not a great picture if you have any advice maybe i need to change a setting or something.

The preview window is just that, a preview. Sony Vegas platforms other than Sony Vegas 11 Pro has no CUDA support and as such relies on your CPU to process the graphics for the preview. The better your CPU, the better quality your preview window will be.

In the preview window you can select the quality that it is showing. By default it's set to "Preview (Auto)." If you want to see the frame you're on in what is more closely what it'll be rendered at, change the quality in the preview window to "Best (Full)."

To be able to preview your footage in near render quality while editing, you'll need a machine with a bare minimum of an Intel core i7 2600k and something along the lines of a GTX570 graphics card, with CUDA enabled. If you can spring for an NVIDIA Quadro graphics card, even better.

Users who are viewing this thread