Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
That makes me mad. Good find.

Last edited:

WILDTHANG

In The Rear View Mirror
Established Member
That's Crazy, they said it has been being used since the mid 90s and about 40 million cars have it. This is the 1st time I have ever heard of this and I usually keep up on stuff like that.

chuckstang

Established Member
How can we yank it out and throw it the F away?
I just dont see how it could hold any water in court because an attorney could argue that it malfunctioned or any other numerous excuses.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I think you can literally just take it out...your airbags wont work then...but at least you wont have one. Plus think of the weight reduction :rockon:, lol.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Someone in another thread brought up the point that it's illegal to remove an EDR from your car. Then again, so is removing a functioning cat (felony actually) and we know how often that happens. This is something we definitely need to be proactive about now.
Curiously enough, IIRC, Japanese manufacturers, or at least some of them, are against EDR use and won't install them in their new vehicles. They didn't feel it was "right".
The person that designs a bypass to the EDR (if possible) that allows the airbags to continue functioning, will be a millionaire to say the least.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
chuckstang said:
I just dont see how it could hold any water in court because an attorney could argue that it malfunctioned or any other numerous excuses.

Did you watch the video? The guy is in it serving 30 years.

That is one of the major reasons they should not be used, how can you cross examine a datafile?

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
The person that designs a bypass to the EDR (if possible) that allows the airbags to continue functioning, will be a millionaire to say the least.

No....they will be sued...and sued...and continuely sued until they go out of business....

TRXboy

Established Member
ON a further note, I think this should be moved to the pic/video buffet for more traffic to see it, and be made a stickey, but thats just me.

jtfx6552

Established Member
wals9331 said:
No....they will be sued...and sued...and continuely sued until they go out of business....

I'd be interested if there is really a law that would prevent disabling the edr?

From what I read, I believe there was only speculation that there is a law against removing them. I haven't seen specualtion one way or the other about modifying them.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I am agaisnt it! :nonono:

I think I'll stick with the ol' good 5.0 Mustangs.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Similar issues with OnStar navigation systems. My understanding is that they record all kinds of data regarding your speed, destinations, driving habits, ect. ect. Stuff a Lawyer would love to get their greedy paws on.

There are people in government and law enforcement who feel it's their right to electronically monitor what there constituents (ie:the tax payer) are doing 24/7 yet don't believe government oversight is necessary. I find the thought of computers monitoring us very disturbing. THX1138 is not far behind

Users who are viewing this thread