effects of running 91 octane

lightning25

SEANSVT
Established Member
I am having a discussion with a guy at work about what octane gas to run.
He has been stating that I can run 91 octane for one year with no issues to my truck, well at first he was just saying I don't need 94 and can run any octane.
He kept adding conditions and at the end added that Idon't need anything more than 91 unless I am racing (I did tell him that running 94 doesn't make me any more power, just prevents detonation, hence why I need it all the time).

btw I run 14 degrees of timing on a stock motor, ported blower, 6lb lower, 2400MAF, TR6 plugs, JLP intake, FTVB, street tuned.

I have been doing research, but my question is, who out there runs 91 octane with no issues, and who has had issues or just plain knows about our engines??

Sean

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I don't own a L but I can only get 91 here in Oklahoma for my Cobra.

On my Street Tune and 91 pump I see 14* Timing with a very safe A/F.

All depends on your tune.

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
Our highest octane here is 91 and then theres race fuel. So my daily driven L gets 91 octane. Have driven it on 91 for almost 5 years not had a single problem.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
He has been stating that I can run 91 octane for one year with no issues to my truck, well at first he was just saying I don't need 94 and can run any octane.

the guy you work with is an idiot, and should not be allowed to breed.
Its all in your tune, ive been running 91 the entire time ive owned the truck...not one issue.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The two killers are Detonation and a lean condition. (to much timing for the octane and boost your running or too high of a A/F ratio)
Both can be corrected in the tune.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
There is more to detonation than just timing. Adding fuel (away from stoich) is a good way to keep the timing up. uses more fuel.. but it works. One range colder plugs can help too.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread