EGR Tube Removal

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
So I'm trying to get this thing off so its not in the way when I pull the motor. The MFer wont come loose though (from the header). Any suggestions? Theres not much room to work with, even with the fender shroud off.

Stock headers aren't going back on either, if that makes any difference.

Krwy

Established Member
When I pulled my stuff off I just turned the wheel, layed on the ground and used a set of channel locks and it came off pretty easy. Try hitting the fitting with a hammer to break the crud on the the threads loose.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I took off the driver side wheel and used a monkey wrench (plumbers pipe wrench) and it came off. Some PB on it wouldn't hurt

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
use a GOOD penetrating oil!!!
something like PB Blaster or Break Free (yes the stuff you use on guns...well i use it on my guns :p )

let it sit for an hour or so...hit it again...let it sit...hit it again let it sit then go out there and use either a big set of channel locks or a large adjustable crescent wrench.
I used the adjustable wrench and had not one problem.

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
I have the wheel and fender shroud off, the front is up on jackstands.

The ABS stuff is completely in the way though of getting a larger wrench in there. I was trying to get a big ass pipe wrench in there earlier, just cant fit it.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member

The ABS stuff is completely in the way though of getting a larger wrench in there. I was trying to get a big ass pipe wrench in there earlier, just cant fit it.

well...worst case if you dont care...you could sawz all the tube off them get a huge socket and use a ratchet....to be honest I got nothing there...but oil the shit outta it!
I got mine off with a 10in crescent wrench.

however have you tried to torch it and get it good and hot?
since metal expands when hot it may loosen its grip on the threads?

if all else fails and you have no plan to reuse it...get a dremal and cut the nut in half and use a chisel to bust it off...just dont hit the threads

txyaloo

Established Member

It's going to be tight to get off. I used a set of Channel Locks with a pipe on one side for more leverage. It took a few hits with a hammer to break the thing loose. Once it came loose, I kept spraying it with PB Blaster to work things loose. When it finally came out, the threaded insert actually came out of the manifold still attached to the EGR tube. I then had to break the insert off of the egr tube.

Users who are viewing this thread