Electric Buffer.

ultimateburrito

Established Member
So, i got an electric buffer for christmas, but have no idea what products to use with it. I know that you can really **** up a cars paint with it. I have a 2012 and it already has scoring and the spider web effect, i just wanna fix it.

BTW be kind. this is my first really nice car.

Zemedici

Established Member
Have you ever detailed before?

If not, I would start with a DA/orbital polisher/buffer.

porter Cable 7424XP Car Buffer / 7424XP Polisher - Brand New Porter Cable Car Buffer / 7424XP Polisher 6" Variable-Speed includes Model 7424XP Car Buffer / Polisher, 6" polishing pad

It is borderline impossible to mess up a car's paint with a porter cable. However, if you have a rotary buffer. oh boy...

With the buffer you will need cuts, polish, and glaze/finish. Look up the chemicalguys website and watch some of their 'how to' videos, to give you a heading. Let me know if you have any questions :beer: Remember, patience is key.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Have you ever detailed before?

If not, I would start with a DA/orbital polisher/buffer.

porter Cable 7424XP Car Buffer / 7424XP Polisher - Brand New Porter Cable Car Buffer / 7424XP Polisher 6" Variable-Speed includes Model 7424XP Car Buffer / Polisher, 6" polishing pad

It is borderline impossible to mess up a car's paint with a porter cable. However, if you have a rotary buffer. oh boy...

With the buffer you will need cuts, polish, and glaze/finish. Look up the chemicalguys website and watch some of their 'how to' videos, to give you a heading. Let me know if you have any questions :beer: Remember, patience is key.
+1. Adam's produced a good set of videos to demonstrate usage of many products they sell, including machine polishers/buffers. (The techniques demonstrated can be applied to products other than Adam's.)

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
What sort of "buffer" did you get op? Please tell me its not one of these:

OrbitalBuffer.jpg

if it is, just throw that away.

Then go online to various sites, autogeek, autopia, youtube, and research true "buffing", which details the process used to get real results.

ultimateburrito

Established Member
What sort of "buffer" did you get op? Please tell me its not one of these:

OrbitalBuffer.jpg

if it is, just throw that away.

Then go online to various sites, autogeek, autopia, youtube, and research true "buffing", which details the process used to get real results.

No i got the craftsman random orbit one. I hate ryobi.

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
Can you tell us a little more about it?

Does it looks like this?
images.php

Can you post a picture of it so we can help?

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
No i got the craftsman random orbit one. I hate ryobi.

That's almost as bad- if you're serious about getting a decent buffer but don't want to drop the serious coin on a "Cadillac" buffer, check out the DA from Harbor Freight. Garry Dean has done several details recently to prove you don't need a $300 buffer to get really good results (C6 Vette and a Tesla). If you want to step up from there go for a Griots Garage DA, they are more powerful than the Porter Cable and will give you quicker correction (no hate for the PC though- I have 2 of them).

Unless you're trying to break into pro detailing you won't need anything more than the 3 I mentioned. Also ditto on what Zemedici said- don't use a rotary on anything nice until you get the hang of it. I've been detailing since 1995 and I don't even have a rotary yet.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
That's almost as bad- if you're serious about getting a decent buffer but don't want to drop the serious coin on a "Cadillac" buffer, check out the DA from Harbor Freight. Garry Dean has done several details recently to prove you don't need a $300 buffer to get really good results (C6 Vette and a Tesla). If you want to step up from there go for a Griots Garage DA, they are more powerful than the Porter Cable and will give you quicker correction (no hate for the PC though- I have 2 of them).

Unless you're trying to break into pro detailing you won't need anything more than the 3 I mentioned. Also ditto on what Zemedici said- don't use a rotary on anything nice until you get the hang of it. I've been detailing since 1995 and I don't even have a rotary yet.

Griot's is a relabeled Mequiar's :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread