Electric Fan not working

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
So is this more common on boosted cars? Is there a way to minimize the possibility of this happening?

from my opinion and research. Nope. Just one of those things some last forever and a day, and some burn out. Its really case by case so every case and car and individual scenario will more than likely be different when it goes and how it goes. The end results in a burnt plug connection and fan failure. Keep in mind of the 100s and 1000s of Mustangs sold and driven daily vs the ones that fail in this example. With that being said, don't loose sleep over thinking it if it has not happen. Then there guys like me :( lol!

ReSQMaN

Established Member
So my low speed relay was not working, I replaced it with the one from my defroster and the fan still does not work. I applied direct current to the fan and it does kick on. My fan plug does not look burnt; however I am not getting power to it. The fan does not even come on when the A/C is on. Could this still be a plug?

ReSQMaN

Established Member
So I replaced the plug and no fix. I did find the fuse was blown but it was very hard to tell with those square fuses. So I put a new fuse in, cleaned the contacts on the fan to check that and they were solid. I started the car, low speed fan never kicked in, I turned on the A/C and the high speed fan kicked in. After about 20-30 seconds the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse then unplugged the fan and ran the A/C, the fuse never blew. So I think that now I need to check the resistance in the fan motor. I believe that the fan motor is running under an increased load. Now to see if ProCharger will warranty the fan.

ReSQMaN

Established Member
Why would procharger warranty the fan?

Well.........It came with the stage II kit and is less than a year old. At the very least I am hoping they will put me in touch with whoever the manufacturer is and they will warranty it. If not then I will drop some funds on a new Spal

_Snake_

Established Member
You most likely have a Spal fan with your kit. Have you checked the wiring where the fan splices into the OEM wires? My fan stopped working (Procharged 2013) and that's where my damage was. I had also contacted Procharger and was redirected to Spal.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
My plug burnt and did the same thing.

Cleaned terminals and greased... It's been fine since.

All of these tuners run the fans more and it seems the relays and wiring aren't up to the task of increased fan activity.

JTS_7

Established Member
I guess I will elaborate. Since I have repaired 4-5 of these now, all the same issue.

The factory thermostat obviously keeps the engines ECT running in a certain range. Thermostat has a fully open and closed point dependent on temperature in the cooling system.

There are set points for the fan. Some "calibrators" as they like to be called and yes multiple, are configuring this incorrectly. When I say incorrectly, I mean that the factory thermostat will never allow the ECT to get low enough to deactivate the fan.

So therefore you have the fan running constantly, to further compound this issue they have the fan set to 100% capacity (high speed), as soon as the fan turns on. So.........ya, I guess you could understand why this is happening to a degree.

I have tested the factory settings in FLORIDA heat, stop and go, WOT, you name it, stock thermostat, stock fan,stock radiator, on a Paxton and a Twin Turbo car. Temps were reasonable, and when compared to a factory car datalogs I say it's safe to say those settings work fine.

I'm not saying don't adjust the fan settings, just do it within reason. First log your operating temps. Compare your high VS low operating temps, adjust your fan settings accordingly.

If you install an aftermarket thermostat, make sure you configure the settings correctly.

Last edited:

TRMach1

Established Member
Old thread. Sorry for resurrecting, just happened to me two days ago. Was fine, I drive my car a lot. 70k miles on a 13, drove an hour

TRMach1

Established Member
Old thread. Sorry for resurrecting, just happened to me two days ago. Was fine, I drive my car a lot. 70k miles on a 13, drove an hour, as soon as I pulled up to the store parking lot not even a minute after idling it started to over heat so I quickly shut it off. I am not boosted, just off road x pipe and AED tune. This was on a Florida day, it's hot right now but not too hot.

Now my question is for those people who have replaced the pig tail, did you guys also replace the fan resistor?

Users who are viewing this thread