electric water pump vs stock pump

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I'm looking at possibly getting a new pump because I have a coolant leak and it seems to be coming from the water pump. I'm not 100% sure yet because I still need to get the car up in the air to see for sure but if it is I will need a new pump. So I'm considering an electric version.

Does anyone have any experience with the electric pumps? Good idea, bad idea, easy to install? Any help and advice in this area would be appreciated.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Friend of mine has one on his notch, he loves it, figure how many cars on the road have an electric fuel pump? why not an electric coolant pump? Im going with one eventually.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I've heard this before but why? My car is more a weekend driver seeing as how I have a beater.

Because a mechanical one won't fail. If it fails, you will know right away and feel it. An electrical one, you won't know if it fails, because there is no pulley being turned. It seems like the risk to power ratio is not worth it.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Because a mechanical one won't fail. If it fails, you will know right away and feel it. An electrical one, you won't know if it fails, because there is no pulley being turned. It seems like the risk to power ratio is not worth it.

How would I feel it? My car has a massive overheating problem that I'm trying to resolve and the pump may or may not be the issue. I burped the system, replaced the t-stat, replaced radiator cap and still have a problem. I can see a leak and it looks like its coming from the bottom of water pump. Not 100% sure on that yet but its likely. Other than the temp guage telling me its going hot I wouldnt really know. The fan kicks on at operating temp and goes into overdrive when I turn on the a/c.

Some people had suggested that it might just be the guage itself but the engine is generating an extreme amount of heat, making the engine steam when I'm at idle. This could be a good indication of the leak. When I park the car it often throws up a bunch of coolant either from the resvoir itself or from somewhere else.

There is no sweet smell in the exhaust and no milkshake in the coolant.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Sounds like your water pump bearing is starting to go bad. Thats what they do. They leak out of the bottom behind the pulley and you cannot see. there is what is called a weep hole in their for that reason. coolant is working it's way past the bearing.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I used an evans cooling pump with my 96. I never had the cooling fix done from Ford and even with the procharger, it ran cool as can be.

Users who are viewing this thread