email from someone you don't know

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
This is a strange email question I'm hoping someone can she some light on. I recieved an email today from someone I don't know asking for time off because they had exams etc etc and they signed their name at the bottom. The funny thing is they had my name at the top:dw:. I have no idea who they were and the email opened as soon as outlook express came up. I didn't respond and deleted the email. Thoughts?

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
I was going to email back and tell him his vacation had been denied, then thought I'd let him know he had the wrong email, then thought I better just delete it. If your on any forum its easy to get a first name and an email address but just the same seems a little strange.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Thanks Jim, I thought thats what it might be. Glad I followed my gut.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Don't respond, it's a phishing scam.

Jim Snover

I wouldn't be so sure it is a phishing scam. A couple of points to ponder:

1. Op did not say if it was a work email or not. I used to get invitations to happy hours, and parties, gossip emails talking about the office chief "shagging" one of the office sluts, engineering analysis of proposals, and some rather personal information and other crap. the problem was that there was another employee that went by my name and while we had different emails people sending HIM information failed to double check the email before they hit send. It was quite fun sometimes and I would generally reply with something in an effort to get them to be more careful. Like the time I told them if they would pay the air fare between Austin tx and Ireland I would be more than willing to attend their happy hour.

2. If it was a private email it could very well be a simply typo on the part of the sender.

Phishing scams generally ask for information of some kind. Never seen, read, or heard about one that asks for leave.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
It was sent to my home email, however often work contacts will contact me by that email. It said:

Hey Mike,

Here are my request for time off to write exams......blah,blah......some date ranges...

Then he signed his name and email

Not sure if that gives any clues. I thought a typo at first but then thought my name + email address, whats going on. I work within a small company so I know everyone. His was not a name I'm familar with. Just seemed fishy. I guess I'm like 95% of the population. I use computers everyday but don't have a clue beyond the operating system I'm working on. lol

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
It was sent to my home email, however often work contacts will contact me by that email. It said:

Hey Mike,

Here are my request for time off to write exams......blah,blah......some date ranges...

Then he signed his name and email

Not sure if that gives any clues. I'm like 95% of the population. I use computers everyday but don't have a clue beyond the operating system I'm working on. lol

yeah I would not have tagged that as a phishing email more like a wrong email addy entered by the sender. I would have had a little fun with it, along these lines:

(writers name), while I understand you need to get your exams done I am going to have to ask you to reschedule them. There is work at the office unfinished and if it doesn't get done you won't have a job to ask leave from let alone me having the chance to deny it. Highly recommend you get your ass to work those days. OR you could double check the email address and direct it to the proper person.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Probably a scam, they can get your name from anywhere nowadays. I have gotten them with my name winning all sorts of items, I delete them and never hear from them again.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The best scams are the ones that make you think, "Aw, look at this, the guy sent the e-mail to the wrong place!"

Jim Snover

I wouldn't be so sure it is a phishing scam. A couple of points to ponder:

1. Op did not say if it was a work email or not. I used to get invitations to happy hours, and parties, gossip emails talking about the office chief "shagging" one of the office sluts, engineering analysis of proposals, and some rather personal information and other crap. the problem was that there was another employee that went by my name and while we had different emails people sending HIM information failed to double check the email before they hit send. It was quite fun sometimes and I would generally reply with something in an effort to get them to be more careful. Like the time I told them if they would pay the air fare between Austin tx and Ireland I would be more than willing to attend their happy hour.

2. If it was a private email it could very well be a simply typo on the part of the sender.

Phishing scams generally ask for information of some kind. Never seen, read, or heard about one that asks for leave.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Look I don't know what your computer/email background is but no, that is not the "best scams". Had he replied all the "scammer" MIGHT have gotten was his email something he already had.

Again, scam emails ASK for something that the idiot recipient can provide that will allow them access to something they don't already have. In this case there was NOTHING that could be garnered.

Caution is wise, but your interpreting this as a "scam" is paranoia not caution.

The best scams are the ones that make you think, "Aw, look at this, the guy sent the e-mail to the wrong place!"

Jim Snover

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, it is the best scam. The best scam is always the one where you think you are giving nothing away; where you think you are scamming the scammer. This was true long before e-mail came along.

It is entirely possible this is just an erroneously sent e-mail. But it is far more likely a phishing scam. Most folks only send e-mail to folks they know, and their addresses are in their system after the first manual type-in. So very rarely does anyone get an address wrong.

But hey, I can live with you thinking I'm paranoid.

Jim Snover

Look I don't know what your computer/email background is but no, that is not the "best scams". Had he replied all the "scammer" MIGHT have gotten was his email something he already had.

Again, scam emails ASK for something that the idiot recipient can provide that will allow them access to something they don't already have. In this case there was NOTHING that could be garnered.

Caution is wise, but your interpreting this as a "scam" is paranoia not caution.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Yes, it is the best scam. The best scam is always the one where you think you are giving nothing away; where you think you are scamming the scammer. This was true long before e-mail came along.

It is entirely possible this is just an erroneously sent e-mail. But it is far more likely a phishing scam. Most folks only send e-mail to folks they know, and their addresses are in their system after the first manual type-in. So very rarely does anyone get an address wrong.

But hey, I can live with you thinking I'm paranoid.

Jim Snover

what possible info could the person have gotten if it was a phishing email? You have to tell them the your info don't you? You can't get info taken from your computer just by responding to the email right?

FutureCobraGuy

Established Member
what possible info could the person have gotten if it was a phishing email? You have to tell them the your info don't you? You can't get info taken from your computer just by responding to the email right?

Technology surprises me more and more everyday. I wouldn't be surprised if they could get your IP addy or something from email and get into the computer through the next work. I don't know but I am subscribing to find out. :pop:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I get them all the time. My gmail address is pretty generic, so I'll get the wrong email from people trying to reach their pastor, distant relative, or kid's soccer coach among other things. I usually just respond "I'm sorry, you must have the wrong email" and then block the sender. If it's phishing or spam, they won't be able to get back in, but if it's a genuine accident, they'll know their email was never received and can check the address and resend.

Users who are viewing this thread