Employment Legality Question

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
FuryShift said:
I see. I was told they were giving me a 1099 instead of a w2 since I was a 'Contractor', which I wasn't which is another thing I don't understand since I was actually an employee. It would be at that time I would cover all taxes owed. I earned somewhere in the neighborhood of 16-17k I believe during my employment. Just wanting to get this situation settled before I join the Air National Guard in January so I don't run into any problems there.

You would get a 1099 as an independent contractor. The IRS has a stringent test for I.C.'s, there are actually 17 areas that must apply for someone to be considered an I.C. Basically if you acted as any other employee would do and took direction from a "boss" you were an employee for the sake of the IRS and the employer would be SOL in relation to paying his portion of your taxes. There should be no problems for you, except you will have to pay the entire tax burden, including both sides of medicare/S.S.

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Once you're an Idependent contractor, the employer is released.. I work in Insurance and deal with this all the time in Workers Compensation.

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
GA600RR said:
Once you're an Idependent contractor, the employer is released.. I work in Insurance and deal with this all the time in Workers Compensation.

What does that mean exactly since I was never an actual IC other than the fact they said I was?

Users who are viewing this thread