End up in a career you didnt expect to have?

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Deffinetly going to try. And it really is. My mom stayed at home to raise my brother and I so my dad was the sole provider. Even then he was able to retire at 58 after 34 years of being on the force.
I can not steal enough money to afford that safety net the pension offers. But on the flip side I am my own boss.

BladeX10

Established Member
Kinda same story with me. Wanted to be a tech. But, after doing some time working on cars I didn't want to touch my own cars when I got home. That in itself made me stop working on cars. And when I started as a writer at my current job one of the techs told me on my first day to get out of the industry as soon as possible

Yep. I sold my 1995 Cobra a few years back because i lost every ounce of passion i had for cars. It took me MONTHS to fix a damn exhaust leak because i just didnt even want to touch it or even look at it after slaving away in my work bay all day. I ended up buying a new Ford Focus just so i wouldnt have to do anything to a car. Dealerships will suck the life out of you. Most of the guys i worked with told me the same thing.

And i feel bad for you service writers. I've seen some of them get straight up bullied by customers for no reason. We had a service writer get so heated from customers going off on him, He walked to the back of the building and punched a metal cabinet and put a big ass dent in it.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Yep. I sold my 1995 Cobra a few years back because i lost every ounce of passion i had for cars. It took me MONTHS to fix a damn exhaust leak because i just didnt even want to touch it or even look at it after slaving away in my work bay all day. I ended up buying a new Ford Focus just so i wouldnt have to do anything to a car. Dealerships will suck the life out of you. Most of the guys i worked with told me the same thing.

And i feel bad for you service writers. I've seen some of them get straight up bullied by customers for no reason. We had a service writer get so heated from customers going off on him, He walked to the back of the building and punched a metal cabinet and put a big ass dent in it.
It's a love hate relationship. I have some great customers who bring me food when they come in for service. Even have one guy give me 20 bucks every time he comes in then gives me 80 during the holidays. Then, on the other end I've been threatened to be fired countless times by customers. Had one customer say I'm "f**ked up" like 6 times to a room full of customers. Even got in a 10 minute argument on the phone and ended cussing the guy out and hanging up on him by smashing my phone against my desk and the next day he came in an apologized. Then, when we Arnt dealing with customers we are dealing with the stupid shit salesman promise customers and parts not being ordered and techs bitching about their diag time. It can be unreal at times.

Last edited:

Wingrider

Established Member
The one thing I'll add to this that I don't think any of the previous posters will disagree with- keep hustling and show that hustle whereever you are working. I define "hustle" as- be willing to put in the effort no matter what you're doing. Let others around you see your putting in effort. Offer to help others doing tasks you don't normally do for your job. Try to gather skills that will get you to a job that can be your passion. You've probably heard something like- it's not a job if you love what you do.

When I started here 21 years ago is even 3 jobs back from what I was hired for as a 2 month contractor. It was hustle that converted me to an employee 20 years ago last month. I continue to tell younger/newer co-workers today- show effort and hustle and people will notice. Yeah, sometimes the gig sucks but by working other aspects of tasks around you, you have more value should someone leave or gets canned. Maybe those skills will get you past the suck factor or it may apply to another job elsewhere.

I've been given a couple huge opportunities to prove myself on something new and I stepped up. The payoff is stuff like writing a check for my GT500 and winding up in job I'm still trilled about every day.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I was a service adviser and that turned into a data analytics/catalog/data manager. This is mostly due to contacts I made as an adviser in the automotive world, and then I was plucked out of the dealership.

Couldn't be happier. I do what most of you do except on a grander scale. Research makes, models, application fitment, part fitment, shortcomings, adjustments, part designs, OE data, aftermarket data, large data loads, new part lines, you name it.

I love what I do.

Khan

BANNED STOCK BRAKE PADS GURU
Established Member
Engineering degree. But for some reason ended up in the banking sector and doing pretty good. Life works in weird ways lol

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't give up on the LE pursuit. Your father being a trooper already gives you a huge benefit over others in more ways than one. I went to a 4 year school, got my degree, thought I wanted to work in my family business and after 5 years of sitting in an office 7-5 monday to saturday I knew I couldn't do this the rest of my life. I kept applying to every police department that had applications available and long story short I'm going in for my interview in a couple weeks and god willing if I get through that I have two more steps left before I'm in.

Moral is don't give up on what you want if you really want it. I wanted this bad and I kinda lost hope for a little while until one day out of the clear blue it looked like it might work out for me.

Take it with a grain of salt and really sit and think about what you want in life.

Adower

Established Member
Had a pretty good paying job in the insurance field. After 6 years I was over it. Stressed out. Took a pay cut to work for the state and couldn't be happier. After 3 years im back to my insurance pay and have better benefits and a better work environment.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
OP where do you currently work? Have you looked to move to another dealership. I enjoy cars and thus have stayed in the automotive world. Have a degree in Accounting. That shit is too boring for me.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
OP where do you currently work? Have you looked to move to another dealership. I enjoy cars and thus have stayed in the automotive world. Have a degree in Accounting. That shit is too boring for me.
Work at the top Nissan dealer in the district. We just hired another advisor who came from working for GM and Hyundai. He said this is the best place he has ever worked and he took a decent pay cut from GM. Thing with this line of work is that nobody wants to work for a big chain like Herb Chambers. Cause they treat their employees like dirt so people go for the independently owned places. An advisor I sit next to has been here 15 years and has taken 6 pay cuts because he refuses to work for a big name company.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Without reading every post, yes. Went to college just to have a degree and did mostly construction after. 5 years ago I got lucky and stepped into the IT field as a Software QA Engineer 5 years ago. Absolutely love it, the pay is decent and you can hit 6 figures if you learn to code. I am currently learning C# since I create automated tests for smoke testing our sites.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Work at the top Nissan dealer in the district. We just hired another advisor who came from working for GM and Hyundai. He said this is the best place he has ever worked and he took a decent pay cut from GM. Thing with this line of work is that nobody wants to work for a big chain like Herb Chambers. Cause they treat their employees like dirt so people go for the independently owned places. An advisor I sit next to has been here 15 years and has taken 6 pay cuts because he refuses to work for a big name company.

Advisers in the big corporate companies are the equivalent of check out clerks at Target.

It's a very unforgiving, very disparaging, and very incorrect form of service advising. Most of them would be better off at an independent or places like Firestone Complete Auto Care over that. It's a sad situation.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I'm in sales, great money if you put in the effort. Almost anyone can learn to sell it's just a matter activity but not many people put in the effort required to succeed. I originally planned to be a NYS trooper but was disqualified in the psych. evaluation lol. Sales has provided my family a nice life.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Advisers in the big corporate companies are the equivalent of check out clerks at Target.

It's a very unforgiving, very disparaging, and very incorrect form of service advising. Most of them would be better off at an independent or places like Firestone Complete Auto Care over that. It's a sad situation.
Exactly. That's why I won't go anywhere else. The owner of my dealer owns 2 others and he's very involved and he visits fairly often.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm in sales, great money if you put in the effort. Almost anyone can learn to sell it's just a matter activity but not many people put in the effort required to succeed. I originally planned to be a NYS trooper but was disqualified in the psych. evaluation lol. Sales has provided my family a nice life.

Just curious, did they tell you what exactly you failed for? That was like your last step before getting hired

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
They haven't got me yet....I was dq'd when I was 21 (now 37). ;) And, I'm always locked and loaded.

Sounds like the hunger games. You better stay locked and loaded for the next few months. They may be coming to finish your "disqualification"

Yea, I'm guessing it was my short temper and quickness to anger back then.

interesting lol

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
They haven't got me yet....I was dq'd when I was 21 (now 37). ;) And, I'm always locked and loaded.

Yea, I'm guessing it was my short temper and quickness to anger back then.
The correct answer was "I want to help people". And not "I want shoot people".

Users who are viewing this thread