End up in a career you didnt expect to have?

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The one thing I'll add to this that I don't think any of the previous posters will disagree with- keep hustling and show that hustle whereever you are working. I define "hustle" as- be willing to put in the effort no matter what you're doing. Let others around you see your putting in effort. Offer to help others doing tasks you don't normally do for your job. Try to gather skills that will get you to a job that can be your passion. You've probably heard something like- it's not a job if you love what you do.

When I started here 21 years ago is even 3 jobs back from what I was hired for as a 2 month contractor. It was hustle that converted me to an employee 20 years ago last month. I continue to tell younger/newer co-workers today- show effort and hustle and people will notice. Yeah, sometimes the gig sucks but by working other aspects of tasks around you, you have more value should someone leave or gets canned. Maybe those skills will get you past the suck factor or it may apply to another job elsewhere.

I've been given a couple huge opportunities to prove myself on something new and I stepped up. The payoff is stuff like writing a check for my GT500 and winding up in job I'm still trilled about every day.

THIS! So much this! Got a shitty job? Do it better than the rest. You'll get a break, an opportunity as a reward, and when you do, run with it. That leads to more opportunities. It may seem like forever, but pretty soon you get a rep as being the guy who gets it done. If there's a job no one else wants because it's too hard, ask for it! Even as everyone is glad you're doing the hard work, you're the one getting noticed for being the guy who steps up, not the guy who goes and hides. This is exactly how I transitioned from a shitty job cleaning film processors to a guy who repairs multi-million dollar cath labs, CT and MRI's, x-ray rooms and ultrasounds.

sdoo500

Established Member
Glad to see so many people have found success in something other than their field.

I graduated with an accounting degree a year and a half ago and did fairly well in school. I worked for a small local bank all through college where I ended up working an accounting job there for the last year I was there. I loved the people I worked with and enjoyed my time there but really wasn't happy with what I was doing and with it being so small, the growth there was non existent until someone else retired as no one really ever left.

I had the opportunity to work for an exotic car dealer for the last year. I'd always loved cars and had to take the opportunity. I worked as a service writer/jack of all trades and did a lot of different things. I was sick of working at a desk and thought I could have a career in this. I enjoyed my time there but like many have said, and even at that level, working at the dealership made me loose the passion for cars. Management there was also less than stellar (100% of the service department quit within the last month if that tells you anything).

Took another accounting job at a large company with plenty of growth where I've been for a little over a month now. I'm trying to remain positive and have a good outlook but finding it difficult to see how I could ever do this my whole life. I loathe coming in every day and sitting at a desk doing the same thing over and over again. I know it is he field I chose so I completely accept responsibility but just don't know where to go next and also don't want to keep bouncing around, as that isn't the kind of guy I am or want to be. I'll put in some time here and see what happens but I know in my head this isn't what I'm going to do forever, but I have no idea what I want to do.

Found this thread at the right time! Sorry for the novel

Wingrider

Established Member
I'm in sales, great money if you put in the effort. Almost anyone can learn to sell it's just a matter activity but not many people put in the effort required to succeed.

Part of my career path got me hired to do outside sales working out of my home. Before that I was a pretty bad slacker. I admit this often to co-workers as "being a reformed slacker". Took about 2 weeks to get past the sitting on the couch watching TV or goofing off with the car to figure out that my paycheck showed up when I did- so to speak. After that I got better and better at prospecting and cold calling. I use those early communication and partner management skills today, learned from 25 years ago. A good professional handshake even matters. The people I have met and places I have had the chance to experience still blows my mind.

Goes back to what you start out doing may not be where you end up, but the things you learn along the way matter.

Wingrider

Established Member
Glad to see so many people have found success in something other than their field.

...Took another accounting job at a large company with plenty of growth where I've been for a little over a month now. I'm trying to remain positive and have a good outlook but finding it difficult to see how I could ever do this my whole life. I loathe coming in every day and sitting at a desk doing the same thing over and over again. I know it is he field I chose so I completely accept responsibility but just don't know where to go next and also don't want to keep bouncing around, as that isn't the kind of guy I am or want to be. I'll put in some time here and see what happens but I know in my head this isn't what I'm going to do forever, but I have no idea what I want to do.

Found this thread at the right time! Sorry for the novel

Stay strong and hang in there. Early in my career path I bounced- a lot. 4 months at one place, 8 months another. I think I had 6 jobs in about 4 years at one point. I admit a lot of it was my attitude / low motivation. I got canned from a couple good jobs because I just didn't show up on time- a sign of disrespect for the company and your co-workers. I was desperate at one point and went to work for a company where I was one of 2 english speaking employees out of about a dozen. I was the "token" to be able to communicate and do outbound sales calls for new business. After about 2 weeks into the job I figured out many would be speaking in their native language in front of me / about me in disparaging ways ranging from my appearance to contempt that they needed me to get them new customers. It was brutal. I focused on the commissions I was getting for getting new business and could not hear them with my headset on dialing away. As soon as I had a line on anther job I quit. Keep up your hunt for something better. I honestly think if *I* can reach the levels of career good fortune that I have been able to, anybody can.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Yea, I'm guessing it was my short temper and quickness to anger back then.

I don't know anything about the test but just b/c you "failed" the test doesn't mean you're a failure. It could actually be a compliment. I have several cop friends and they are definitely different in their mentality. And I wouldn't say they are more kind and patient. Most of them are pretty much total arrogant d*ckheads. Good guys though LOL

jrandy

Established Member
I had no clue what I wanted to do in life after high school, so I ended up going the most generic route I could, a solid state school with a great business program. The problem was, you can't get a decent paying job with a business degree and no experience as I was a dime a dozen. So, after graduating, I ended up taking an entry level sales job like everyone else just to get some experience. I was there for around 5 years before I was too burnt out, so I looked around and tried to find something that matched my wants and pay.

I ended up getting a job as a Customer Success Manager for an app developer. I had to take a lower position and busted my ass for the first year before getting promoted. I've been here two years now and absolutely love my job. It's a super stereotypical Silicon Valley start up with tons of room for advancement.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
To the OP,

The biggest advice I learned in terms of jobs, is bust your ass, network, and never turn down any offer you get. I have a couple reasons why I truly believe in these philosophies. For the 1st, busting your ass helps boost your image as a worker. I am currently working on a 4 year degree, and I did well at my job, my boss instantly hires me back for summer work. No interviews, no nothing. I give him a call, I submit my paper work, and I get hired back, simple as that. Busting your ass helps you create an image of yourself, and people will be more likely to drift towards you, in my experience at least, which will also look good on future job applications when they see you were hired back every time you applied. So I guess what I'm saying is, always do your best even if you hate it, just keep the future in mind, and your long term goal. It's ok to change your mind on what your life purpose is. Life is a journey, not a sprint. When feeling troubled on what career to choose, just take life a day at a time, and don't rush it. You have a LOT of years ahead of you still.

The 2nd reason is very important. Networking is extremely important in any endeavor you will find yourself in. With you working at a Nissan dealership, it is the perfect place to network. Try and talk to customers, superiors, etc. If you want to get into LE, you already have the perfect contact in your father as a retired trooper. My dad worked for the FBI in Boston for 26 or 27 years, and although I didn't choose LE, I would have first networked through my dad. So network, network, and network.

And the 3rd is pretty simple. Never turn down opportunity. You never know when it may suit you most, and if you think about it, a lot of people end up pursuing a job not in the degree field they chose (if you go the college route). Just always be open to opportunity. You can't say you hate it unless you try. And once again, a great way to network. And again, always make sure to bust your ass, even if you hate it. The process is a cycle if you look at it broadly. The more you put yourself out there, the better. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk some more!

Users who are viewing this thread